Railroad Forums 

• More new power! USWX Power

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1490957  by gregorygrice

Here's a link to a roster shot with a description:

Waste Management's brand new Mother/Slug combo sits on Track 10 at Fresh Pond Yard. The pair (USWX 400 & USWX 010) was purchased by Waste Management and built by Knoxville Locomotive Works (KLW) for use by New York & Atlantic Railway's Yard jobs which have the primary task of serving two of Waste Management's transload locations in New York City (Varrick Ave in Bushwick & Review Ave in LIC).

The "mother" unit, USWX 400 is a KLW SE23B-M Tier 4 locomotive built from HATX 415 which was originally built as B&O GP40 3694. The "slug" unit, USWX 010, is a SE23B-S built from UPY 923, which was originally built as SLBM (MoPac) SW-9 9191.

Photo Link: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/677155/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WATCO will continue their normal operations at both locations with their Shuttlewagons.
 #1490977  by AlKaLI

Thanks Gregory.
Of interest is that the slug appears to be on Flexicoil trucks. Most SW-9s didn't come with these like SW-1500s did. In searching around the Internet, the slug originally had AAR-B trucks. Looks like KLW swapped them from another unit?
 #1490999  by gregorygrice

AlKaLI wrote:Thanks Gregory.
Of interest is that the slug appears to be on Flexicoil trucks. Most SW-9s didn't come with these like SW-1500s did. In searching around the Internet, the slug originally had AAR-B trucks. Looks like KLW swapped them from another unit?
Indeed. All of the components are labeled. Ill have to look next time. Here's a side view of just the slug.
 #1491020  by AlKaLI

Nice photo Gregory.
Those are two-axle Flexicoil trucks.
Correction from my post above that most SW units were delivered with AAR-A trucks. -B were on road units.
If I remember correctly, Flexicoils were supposed to track around curves better and could be geared for mainline service ~60 mph.
Most SW-1500s and I believe CN SW1200RS had these trucks.
 #1491040  by freightguy

I have a feeling the B&O 3694 was a lot more reliable than what it has been transformed into for USWX. The KLW power down at Cross Harbor is very unreliable from what I have heard. These gensets make for great environmentally friendly optics in urban areas, but probably ending up costing more in the long run. CSX has shed all their Bronx gensets for the work to be done by GP38’s. I think a lot of these engines converted over the years should’ve stayed in their original form just rebuilt.
 #1491108  by freightguy

A good for instance the NYAR progress rail engine 301 had to be towed yesterday by 2 40 year old LIRR MP15’s after suffering mechanical failures.
 #1491570  by DogBert

So with this new potential hanger queen, will one of the lease units be going back, or maybe that last 1001 going back to LIRR?
 #1491858  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:So with this new potential hanger queen, will one of the lease units be going back, or maybe that last 1001 going back to LIRR?
Nope no equipment changes. And the 101 isn't leaving NYAR for a while. The geeps will only be returned one by one once the engines from the new procurement start coming in.
 #1493104  by mainline

DogBert wrote:So with this new potential hanger queen, will one of the lease units be going back, or maybe that last 1001 going back to LIRR?

Heard these units are suffering from wheel problems/ flat spots. Not going anywhere.

Bill
 #1506300  by gregorygrice

jtunnel wrote:The Mother and slug are back at 65th Street Yard.

Just a visit or are they going someplace?
Just a visit. Will be back on NYA soon.