Railroad Forums 

• Propane at Prima?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1419226  by DaveBarraza

I've twice spotted some tank cars at the Prima Asphalt site, and today it looked as if there is a storage tank built there as well. Is someone taking propane there, or some other liquified stuff? Is this part of Prima re-inventing itself as "Prima Asphalt and Transload Facility"? Who is the consignee?

Anyone know any details?

Thanks
 #1419238  by Ðauntless

They used to use LPG for the plant, but I think they stopped doing that back in the 80s. Maybe they started again. There was a small 1 or 2 car spot specifically for it.
 #1419270  by freightguy

Prima had a 5 car spot for LPG off the south track. That ended around 1999 when they had it piped in from right across the mainline at Tosco( Northville) tank farm near LIPA in Holtsville.

LPG is a shell of its former self coming to Long Island in tank car. Amerigas(National Propane), Pulver, and Prima Gas all gone that was easily hundreds of propane tank cars. Paraco is the only one left, but they may subject to change with more propane railed to Long Island.
 #1421058  by mainline

I saw the cars there. The last tank car moves there were Biodiesel. Could be Biodiesel. Not LPG. Piped into Natural gas.
 #1422699  by DaveBarraza

mainline wrote:I saw the cars there. The last tank car moves there were Biodiesel. Could be Biodiesel. Not LPG. Piped into Natural gas.
Interesting! Thanks.