Railroad Forums 

• Kleet Lumber: Unloading Centerbeams

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1373561  by NYCS

Can anyone tell me how Kleet Lumber in Huntington unloads its inbound centerbeam flatcars? It goes without saying that everyone knows these cars must be "load balanced" to avoid tipping over, and unloading must be done from both sides. However, Kleet's spur directly fronts the LIRR mainline and there doesn't seem to be any room for a forklift to maneuver (let alone access) the cars on the south side fronting the LIRR mainline. Anyone witness how this is done? Thanks in advance!

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/kVWJbfhYF6J2
 #1373612  by NYCS

Awesome. Thanks for the information and link. I guess they would just use a standard forklift to move the cars around, and also put together the empty cut of cars for NY&A to retrieve them. Fascinating.
 #1373622  by freightguy

I think they added an extra track around early /mid 2000's. They always unloaded close to the main. When they had a huge fire in 2001 an LIRR extra crew went in and pulled out the loaded center beams and brought them to Hicksville team yard.