Railroad Forums 

• NYA use of P&W power in Maspeth

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1372292  by DogBert

I stumbled across an NY&A train in Maspeth on Saturday, using P&W power. They were switching the aggregate customer in the yard, collecting the empties and heading back to Fremont (where I assume a P&W crew took the train out of town later that afternoon).

I've never come across NY&A switching the stone cars here, so I'm wondering if they usually make this move with P&W's power?
Attachments:
P&W-IMG_7354.jpg
P&W-IMG_7354.jpg (121.95 KiB) Viewed 6709 times
 #1372628  by AlKaLI

Dogbert:

Wow! Nice catch. The use of P&W power is interesting. I have never seen this.

Many years ago when CP was running directly into Fresh Pond, I was surprised to see two bright red CP SD40-2s switching the east end of Fresh Pond yard.
NY&A has a history of "borrowing" lay-over power. This is the first example that I've seen of units out on the old mainline.

Other railroads have horsepower-hour agreements for units on another railroad. I wonder if the NY&A has such an agreement.
From you picture, there is a GP38-2 (2000 hp), B39-8E (3900) and another GE unit (let's say another B39-8E)
That's 9800 hp being used from Fresh Pond to Maspeth and back. Can't be cheap

Regards, AlKaLI
 #1372725  by DogBert

Yeah - 2 B-39s. Unless it has changed lately their Gp-38-2's didn't come down here often either.

Assuming they just used the power for the stone move, I can't imagine it took long. Plus they could run around the train and fremont and leave the power ready for the P&W crew to duck right out of town.

I didn't count cars but there had to have been at least 30-40 empties. With all the cars that customer gets, a few extra bucks to move the cars a few miles shouldn't be bad.
 #1372806  by csx8851

AlKaLI wrote: Wow! Nice catch. The use of P&W power is interesting. I have never seen this.

Many years ago when CP was running directly into Fresh Pond, I was surprised to see two bright red CP SD40-2s switching the east end of Fresh Pond yard.
NY&A has a history of "borrowing" lay-over power. This is the first example that I've seen of units out on the old mainline.

Regards, AlKaLI
Actaully, I had seen PW power on an NYA train that was switching the yard. Usuallly the job is left to 3 of the SW1000s. It was quite new to me and tbh it was interesting. This was over a year ago.