Railroad Forums 

• New engines for NYA

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1379372  by Uncle Cheapo

Backshophoss wrote:Will these units take a trip to Morris Park and get their ASC gear tested and oked for use on LIRR?
No need for that.
 #1381186  by freightguy

Backshop,

I think LIRR is looking to piggyback off the NYA order for their work engine fleet. It was brought there for familiarization puropses. Like all gensets supposedly the pulling power is much left to be desired. Same with the current rebuilds at MNRR of the GP35 fleet by Brookville. Nothing beats the old stuff!
 #1381219  by Backshophoss

You have to remember that NY&A is a "guest" on LIRR,and retained the right to inspect and allow/reject
any of NY&A's power as lead or trail only away from the Lower Montauk Secondary.
The PR 20B's are the 1st new power with LIRR ASC installed since the GP38-2's and the MP15's arrived on the island.
 #1381264  by freightguy

The NYAR geeps and 15's already have an upgraded ATC package, not the originally stuff from 1970's. I'm not sure if it's in all units.
 #1381311  by Crabman1130

Backshophoss wrote: The PR 20B's are the 1st new power with LIRR ASC installed since the GP38-2's and the MP15's arrived on the island.
What about the DE/DM fleet?
 #1381373  by Backshophoss

The DM's/DE's are special built power for the C-3 fleet,like the power units on the CB&Q Zephyr fleet,
the only saving grace,they have regular couplers on both ends. Unusable otherwise.
 #1381659  by Uncle Cheapo

freightguy wrote:Backshop,

I think LIRR is looking to piggyback off the NYA order for their work engine fleet. It was brought there for familiarization puropses. Like all gensets supposedly the pulling power is much left to be desired. Same with the current rebuilds at MNRR of the GP35 fleet by Brookville. Nothing beats the old stuff!
Not a genset. Cat prime mover. So far outperforms a gp38 switching. Road trials soon to follow.
 #1382427  by SwingMan

The 300 and 301 made their first trip on the Main Line today (4/28). Under the designation RS-70/RS-71, they made a round trip to Hicksville.
 #1384060  by Train2009

Just now this morning I saw 2 videos on Youtube with #300 and #301 running in regular freight service, it did its first run yesterday on RS40/RS41 and last night on RS80.
Here is a link in a YouTube search: https://www.youtube.com/results?q=LIRR& ... %253D%253D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1384076  by Crabman1130

I heard a train blow for the Staples St. crossing on the Central yesterday. It sounded similar to the horn in the video. Were they out there then?