Railroad Forums 

• Emergency Move Off Long Island by Rail

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1333049  by rr503

Backshophoss wrote:That would make sense,take traffic off the LIE(I-495) and get more Trash off the Island with much less fuss,
ULSD fuel prices are going up,as will the fuel surcharge on the trucker's freight bill.
Probably will never happen though, CURES won't like it...
 #1333075  by rr503

Backshophoss wrote:NYSDEC and the Health Dept would tell cures to take a hike,the public health trumps their "claims"
I'd hope so...
I could see them petitioning everyone to stop it, they'd say that the "evil-smelling fumes" and "old locomotives" harm them. Or basically what they have been saying forever.
From last year, but worth a read:
http://www.timesnewsweekly.com/news/201 ... RBAGE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“We know that New York State exports waste; it’s our number one export,” Parisen said. “You can’t trade one evil for the other. We’re not against rail; we never were. But they have to understand the limitations of the state rail system.”

Barging trash out of Nassau and Suffolk counties, she said, “has to be a viable option,” as it would reduce congestion on local rail and roads while also offering an alternative way for Long Island to get rid of its trash.
Fun fun fun...
 #1333105  by Backshophoss

NYSDEC will never approve a barge transfer station,same with the Coast Guard,or the USEPA.
The NIMBY's along the shorelines on the Island WILL make sure of that will not happen!
 #1333131  by DogBert

Cures's only option is to get busy promoting composting.

Limitations of the rail network? Did their grandparents ever tell them how much traffic used to move through fresh pond every day? And during WW2?

Derps. The rubbish along the tracks they like to complain about is dumped their by their own neighbors.
 #1333227  by freightguy

I think once the endless money pit known as Brookhaven landfill expires, you'll see a serious attempt at MSW by rail. I think a lot of Long Islands garbage ends up there. Do not be surprised if that is the eventual rail hub for MSW off the island.