Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Track

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1491697  by AlKaLI

Southern Container was bought by WestRock. However, they are still in Deer Park at the old Southern Container plant. I would think that they still receive railcars of paper for corrugated boxes but not have been out that way recently. Plus their unloading dock is inside the building making it hard to see if their are cars.

Another missed on the list is:
Allied Extruders in LIC

They use to receive covered hoppers of pellets for their plastics business. Company was also bought and then the plant was shut down.
 #1491771  by tahawus84

Why does Jamaica ash east of Westbury still have a switch? I have not seen a car or any signs of use in years and I am surprised the switch has not been pulled. Anyone know when they last had service?
 #1492964  by DaveBarraza

tahawus84 wrote:Why does Jamaica ash east of Westbury still have a switch? I have not seen a car or any signs of use in years and I am surprised the switch has not been pulled. Anyone know when they last had service?
The switch is there, with very little track existing beyond. Consensus is that it will probably go away during the 3rd track project.
 #1493102  by mainline

[quote="AlKaLI"]Southern Container was bought by WestRock. However, they are still in Deer Park at the old Southern Container plant. I would think that they still receive railcars of paper for corrugated boxes but not have been out that way recently. Plus their unloading dock is inside the building making it hard to see if their are.

Checked with the crew. No deliveries to west rock. Roberts Plywood is still active on the spur.

Bill