Railroad Forums 

• Former Consignees

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1269414  by LRail

So in addition to Pulver Gas in Bridgehampton, and I'm guessing Eastport Feed??? Which other customers have vanished? Does Nassau-Suffolk still receive cars in either Huntington or Pt. Jeff?
 #1269489  by Sir Ray

I'm sure we've done this topic before, but maybe we can get this thread as a "sticky" (fat chance)
My nomination:
Baisley Lumber, Lynbrook NY (I think closed 2002? after the big fire in their yard)
I guess Amco Plastics, Farmingdale
Emjay Environment in Brentwood

This is a bit iffy on the dates, but when did Strober lumber close down their facility along Rte 110 & Price Parkway? Right now it's a Recliner/Furniture showroom, but they used to unload boxcars there - not sure if it made it into the NY&A era or not.
 #1269980  by jayrmli

Strober was gone before NYA began service. Only customer to my knowledge that was serviced by NYA in Price was Amco Plastics receiving some cars to unload there.

There's a lot of customers that have come and gone since NYA took over. Way more than the handful mentioned.
 #1270232  by Sir Ray

NYCS wrote:Red placemarks on this map:
http://goo.gl/maps/qbCaK
I'm sure there are plenty more, but the map is only a recent project.
I remembered your map, but couldn't quickly find the link yesterday.
As for updates, well, you didn't include Basiley Lumber in Lynbrook (you'd have to add in the line for the Montauk branch in Nassau while you're at it).
Second, you still have Emjay listed as a client, when they closed down a few years ago, and the building burned down last year. At the least it should be yellow, and the title should not be Emjay anymore.

Here's another questionable one - was Quality Lineals in Freeport ever served by the NY&A, or was it the MTA that parked that covered hopper in back which Quality used for storage for years (till last year, I guess)
 #1270254  by 4behind2

Add to the list (and I don't know the exact dates of service termination):

-Southampton Lumber
-BBS Lumber on Speonk Team Track
-Firestone Plywood
-Jamaica Ash
-Pinter Bros. (Newsday)
-Gallo Wines (Syosset)
-Typhin Steel
-Feldman Lumber (Mineola and Bushwick)
-Lumber company on old west wye leg, Babylon

Consignees come and go. It depends on the rates, yields per car, etc. Many buildings consignees have are bought and sold simply because it has a siding and increases the value of the property.
 #1270262  by jayrmli

Quality Lineals in Freeport was serviced by NYA. It was always a weird move to do similar to Chesler Plywood in New Hyde Park (also gone) as both switches were equipped with an electric lock so a train could clear up. However, the lock was of an old style that the Movement Bureau had a fit if you did so, since you would not show properly on their boards, and they would need to cut train orders. So, it was always a hasty move in both locations.

Southampton Lumber was pre-NYA. We never serviced them.
BBS Lumber (I will assume you mean Best Lumber) was brought on during NYA, and disappeared when LIRR no longer wanted them to use the yard in Speonk. Best is now out of business themselves, I believe being absorbed into Speonk Lumber.
Firestone Plywood was serviced by NYA. My guess is they were gone around 2001 or so.
Jamaica Ash was a very busy customer back in the beginning, but they went hot and cold and eventually gave up rail freight I guess...
Pinter Brothers gave up around 1999 or so. They claimed that the cars were being humped somewhere in transit, and stopped shipping by rail. Pergament had another 5 car spot in the adjacent warehouse off the Old DK siding. A lot of business in there that dried up.
Gallo moved their operation I think to Jersey. That ended that, probably around 2004 or so.
Typhin Steel I think was gone pre-NYA
Feldman in Mineola was gone before NYA. They were embargoed during the Herricks Road project (along with Nestle) and never returned. Not sure when they stopped taking cars in Brooklyn.
There was never any NYA business in Babylon.
 #1270303  by tj48

Amerigas in Wyandanch has been vacant for quite awhile now. The tracks are still in place but the large holding tanks that were on the property have been removed. All vehicles on the property are gone. The filling room where you used to get your barbeque tanks filled has been cleared out. With Wyandanch going through its 'rising' it may be only a matter of time before the whole property is 'redeveloped'.
 #1270465  by Sir Ray

tj48 wrote:Amerigas in Wyandanch has been vacant for quite awhile now. The tracks are still in place but the large holding tanks that were on the property have been removed. All vehicles on the property are gone. The filling room where you used to get your barbeque tanks filled has been cleared out. With Wyandanch going through its 'rising' it may be only a matter of time before the whole property is 'redeveloped'.
For the heck of it, I went to the Amerigas website and checked 'ALL' locations on the search(there are different types like tank exchange or cylinder refill).
It lists: "UPS Freight 645 NEELEYTOWN RD WYANDANCH NY, 11798"
There doesn't seem to be a Neeleytown Road in Wyandanch, or anywhere on Long Island for that matter. There is one upstate in Orange County - perhaps they mean UPS will deliver tanks to you? Odd.
Google Maps still has a marker at the (former?) Merrit Ave location, but Google Maps is not known for being really up-to-date with this stuff.

Then again, there is this: Paraco Gas Acquires AmeriGas Long Island Customer Base
BAY SHORE, NY—August 8, 2013 – Paraco Gas Corporation, the largest independent propane supplier in the Northeast, has acquired the Long Island, New York, customer base of AmeriGas, the company announced today.
With the acquisition, Paraco Gas, a family owned and operated business that has been serving residential, commercial and industrial customers in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than three decades, will now have 40,000 customers on Long island.
 #1270970  by freightguy

To add a few more unique NYAR costumers gone the way of the Dodo* bird
In a row;
LIPA( Lilco) Hicksville
Mid Island Produce(Hicksville)
Hooker Chemical(Ruco)

Some others off the top of my head,

Sayville Lumber( Sayville Team TRK)
Pure Tec Plastics( PW team)
Ideal Steal (St James team)

The last three started and disappeared during NYA. I believe Mid Island was a former LIRR cosignee Inland plastics was the switch name then produce company went into their building. Boening bros off Wellwood hasn't taken a car for some time, but that could change.
 #1271961  by Teutobergerwald

I thought LIPA in Hicksville is still "active" as an NYA customer in that the switch and spur are ready if needed for a delivery of something best moved by rail. I recall them getting something big delivered on a depressed-center flatcar in Hicksville in the past few years, and mention was made of it on this NYA forum.
 #1272015  by jayrmli

LIPA siding had taken large transformers in the past, but also took one or two I believe in Hicksville Team Yard, so it's possible they may take them there in the future (if needed).

Freightguy noted customers that started and left during the NYA era. One that was missed was their first "new" customer, Salesmaster in Commack. (They took boxcars of tiling in the old Eldee siding).
 #1272020  by AlKaLI

@ jayrmli:

I can't remember. Was Manufacturers Corrugated Box located in Maspeth near Coca Cola (north of Lower Montauk) ever a customer of the NY&A? Or did they close down before?
I tried googling about their plant closure and came up empty. Eventually the whole factory building was torn down and I think Coca-Cola took over the space.

They used to recieve boxcars of linerboard paper rolls. I remember one car being mis-routed to Star Corrugated Box.
Thanks, AlKaLI
 #1272043  by Sir Ray

AlKaLI wrote:I can't remember. Was Manufacturers Corrugated Box located in Maspeth near Coca Cola (north of Lower Montauk) ever a customer of the NY&A? Or did they close down before?
I tried googling about their plant closure and came up empty. Eventually the whole factory building was torn down and I think Coca-Cola took over the space
This article indicates they were still there in 2008, well into the NY&A era, although the ground area was contaminated
An industrial site at the corner of 57th Street and Grand Avenue, in Maspeth, has been determined to contain contaminating chemicals, representing a “significant threat to public health and the environment,” according to the state Department of Environmental Conservation.
According to a letter circulated by the NYSDEC, the roughly two-acre site — currently home to Manufacturers Corrugated Box Inc., and the warehouse for Feldman Lumber — has received a Code 2 classification, which deems the threat “significant,” requiring that further investigative and remedial action be taken.