Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Tidbits

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#11171  by Scrap em All

The 159 moved under its own power to 8. It is pretty much operational but borrowed from heavily. Half of the control stand is missing. plus bells, horns , spedos, etc.....
Cost is the main factor in sending units to PW for work, PW did 2 units for the price of one LIRR wanted, plus in my opinion LIRR cant fix anything right anyway. PW has a modern freight engine shop with alot more experience than LIRR handling that kind of work.

#11297  by Mr GP10

Thats some what good news about the 159. Question how long has the 156 been O.O.S. just as long as the 159 or longer? it would be nice to see them back in service again.

#11305  by badneighbor

when 261 and 268 get back, will the next two go out? how much longer will it take to finish 261/268?

#11454  by Scrap em All

159 OOS for over 3 years
156 OOS for over 1 year
261/268 are already complete, my guess is that they will come down next Fri with the first stone train. No word on next units to be sent out yet.

#11940  by Mr Met

will nya go through bay shore this week at all??

#16475  by emfinite

How are the 261 and 268 holding up since the overhaul? How do they operate <i>now</i> compared to the 271/270? I always see the 271/270 lashed up, so I am guessing they run better together then any other combination of units...
 #16483  by freightguy

The 270 is probably the best running NYA eng out of all 14. It is a hell of a puller and takes off like a rocket(still geared for passenger). When the engines are fueled I think a special truck comes with jp4 for the 270. I hate when we have to relinquish that one to the Pond scum, sorry West end.

GREG :P

#16650  by Knife-Switch

My thanks to emfinite for getting Coach to expose his personal favourite of the Mainline Fleet. I will keep this in mind as I begin my RS-80 odessey. I am fortunate though, the railroad gods have already named a Block Station after me PD so there will be no need to do any renaming....(see JQ Interlocking). :P

Heading for some Mainline Action and leaving Ghetto RRing Behind
Emancipated!!
God Save the RS-80!!!!
Knife-Switch
 #16725  by Fla East Coast Chris

Hey Knife Switch(LOL)
Come out and see field mice and deer with 8 pointers in the night!!!!
Prancing here and there :D
See you soon!!!
Chris

#19403  by Scrap em All

On a sad note, 9373 is O.O.S. due to derailment damage. A traction motor fell apart and could not be repaired. It is going to be sent out eventually for repair. 9321 is also showing some signs of engine trouble. The engine is useless above the 5th notch, spews black smoke like some lousy decrepit Alco. It will be fixed on the premises. 201 is still running good, but for how long?

#19420  by lirrmike

Hey! Watch what you say about ALCOs! :wink:

Mike

#19456  by b&p rupture

Scrap em All wrote:On a sad note, 9373 is O.O.S. due to derailment damage.
When/Where did this happen?

#19535  by Scrap em All

Night guys screwed it up at Filthy Co. It is shot!
 #19639  by Knife-Switch

Hey Scrapper, lets get it straight, it wasn't the crew (of which I am not), it was the track condition. All of us who have worked down there realize the poor conditions of that Branch....track condition/clearance/trash/burnt out cars/loose pit bulls and other dogs/dangerous grade crossings/hostile inhabitants etc...etc..(DID I MENTION RATS) and we dread each trip. Further, even though it is well established by "the powers that be" that any trip down that branch could result in derailment....the customers "must be taken care of".

I believe you yourself will remember when I was chastized for bringing the GP's down there because "we can't afford to have the road power 'go down/on the ground' on the Bush".

So although we all know we can't spare any power, we are still expected to complete our wheels with whatever power is left running. Thus, the loss of a 1200 is not only a loss to the yard crew, but also a burden to the crew running the Bush. We know who really is to Blame :wink:

Knife-Switch - Part Time Defense Counsel

#19853  by Scrap em All

Right! I agree with you a 100% on the working conditions on the Bush, and I believe that it was at least 90% fault of the track. I reserve the other 10% because "Hey you never know" line of thought.
What irks me is that when the 3 engines arrived on the property they were in great shape. 9373 was the best one of all, smooth ride due to its road trucks and actually had a decent radio installed in it. Now it is on the scrap line, smashed windows, severe flat spots, vandalized radio, and half of the traction motor missing. One thing I will say is that they are old and needed a certain type of train handling, you know that because you and I were the first crew to operate them. Remember the bugs in the braking system? All I got to say to the newer engineers is, be more gentle and patient with them when they get going they will win a tug-of-war with all our Gp38 combined. :P