Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Tidbits

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #7397  by Scrap em All

I reported to work today and thought hell froze over!! 159 is back from the dead, thats right. It has not ran for 3 years. It was running on the shop pad and sounded rather good. It is still not in service because, you guessed it, it was slightly cannibalized. Minor things like horns, bell, brake handles an spedo parts. Replacements are on order.
Also 201 will be placed in limited service tomorrow (tues). It is still missing the horns but is going to be used as a middle unit between the 1200's. Once the horns arrive it will regain its lead unit status.
105 has been down for about 2 months with a minor electrical problem. It is also running on the shop pad. Fully intact it might be running shortly. This leaves us with the 156 as the longest o.o.s unit to date. No progress at all. Was one of my fave units. It pulled better than a 38 hands down.

#7557  by jayrmli

Have to agree with you on the 156. She could pull just about anything you needed her to. The 270 is a pretty good engine too, although you can get better traction with the 156.

They should keep the 159 as the shop lead switcher. She was the dog of the bunch, and can just barely pull herself. God help the engineer who has to use it without another one MU'd to help.

Jay

#7709  by Scrap em All

IMO I think the 159 still can outpull the 155. 159 was not to bad, only those ground relays screwed it up, it is the most problematic of the 15ac's.

#7922  by Fla East Coast Chris

The 159 when the LOng Island had it was always on the electric heat train in Oyster Bay (6EH+1pvt) when I was the car cleaner there on weekends in 1988.. God help the engineer who had that thing on a Monday morning leaving Oyster Bay, servere carbon buildup and lots of blue smoke going out of the Bay!!!!! I think I can I think I can...... atta boy 159!!!!!!
Chris

#9157  by Scrap em All

201 alive and well. Tested out on the rs301 and possibly on the rs80/rs100 Bushwick load pull up. Works pretty well pulled 77 cars in the rain with one 1200 as a helper, not bad.

#9366  by Legio X

77 car train on the Bushwick Branch???

#9829  by Mr GP10

Finally!!!!! I can post about time!!!!!! Anyway I saw the GP-10 with the 2 Louisville & Indiana sandwiched together working in fresh pond yard on Saturday. I couldnt believe how L-O-U-D the GP-10 really is..... I thought the GP-38s were stronger??? By the way what does the word Torque mean? Maybe thats why the GP-10 souned louder?? :D PS GP-10s RULE!!!!!

#9831  by Mr GP10

PS 77 cars on the bushwick......... now thats a long son of a gun I hope neither the 1200 and or the GP-10 had any problems..........
 #9839  by RRChef

77 cars on the Bushwick?? that train had to block all the crossings for a LOOONNNGGG time!

#9849  by Scrap em All

No, 77 cars was the first train it pulled in service on the rs-301. (courtesy of myself) 4 sd90's could not handle 77 cars out of the Bush.
The Gp10 is loud on the outside but is the quietest NYA engine on the inside. It is quieter than our Gp38's. however the Gp10 is not stronger. It is geared for freight so it does have more low end torque, but when 261/268 will come back the 210 will be no match for them, since they will be geared just like the 201 with higher horsepower. The 201 is currently an equivalent to a Mp-15 power wise.

#10095  by KilltheGP10

THE GP10 WAS GROANING SO LOUD BECAUSE IT IS SCREAMING FOR SOMEONE TO PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY. IT'S SAYING I'M OLD SMELLY AND TIRED AND WANT TO BE SCRAPPED!!!

RUDOLPH

#10491  by Mr GP10

How has the GP-10 been doingthis week or today scrap em all? Jay? Thank You.

#10743  by Mr GP10

Whats the latest with the 159? is it back in service yet? I forgot what the job # RS?? was that goes to LIC/Yard A........Are there any more NYA trains going there any more? :)

#11062  by jayrmli

The 159 has been moved from the shop track to track 8, I'm sure not under its own power. I think it has become the shops pet engine and they don't want to let it go. :wink:

I think the mechanic hit a gusher in her the other day. The front stack looks like she spewed oil everywhere. If this were Texas, and the 159 were an oil well, this would be great news. Unfortunately, this is New York, the 159 is a locomotive, and I can just hear the mechanic saying "Aww, shucks!"

Jay
 #11069  by Mr rt

So how lang has it been since the last time 201 has some work to do ?
I find it very interesting to see her come back from the dead & re-join NY & Atl as a important part of their motive power.

BTW, I also read, in Railpace, that NY & Atl is using P & W to preform engine work for them.
Was the main reason cost vs. LIRR shops ?