Railroad Forums 

• Nassau-Suffolk Lumber in Huntington

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1088688  by Teutobergerwald

Anybody know if Nassau-Suffolk Lumber in Huntington is still an active NYA customer? I haven't seen any boxcars or flatcars spotted in there the past few times I've been past on an LIRR train, most recently on 09/20/12. The gate was locked & the rails of the spur rusty. Kleet Lumber, just east of Nassau-Suffolk, was it's usual full self that day, with two boxcars & three flatcars on it's spur. Business down at Nassau-Suffolk in comparison to Kleet, or are they going with trucking due to a better price? Thanks.
 #1090952  by 4behind2

Business cycles fluctuate, and that dictates rail shipments. Nassau-Suffolk took their cars just behind the building. look for the usual "flat spots" and crushed foliage to indicate the siding was recently used.
 #1091049  by jayrmli

The demand for building materials is way down from what it was just a few years ago. Many customers that used to take daily service with multiple carloads of building supplies hardly ever get a switch anymore.

Jay
 #1416210  by Teutobergerwald

I was driving through Huntington this morning and noticed Riverhead Building Supply appears to have taken over operation of the Nassau-Suffolk Lumber location. Anybody know if they resumed NYA service? Kleet had a mix of boxcars and center beams on it's spur.
 #1416224  by DaveBarraza

Teutobergerwald wrote:I was driving through Huntington this morning and noticed Riverhead Building Supply appears to have taken over operation of the Nassau-Suffolk Lumber location. Anybody know if they resumed NYA service? Kleet had a mix of boxcars and center beams on it's spur.
Does Riverhead Building Supply use rail at all? Their gigantic facility at Calverton Enterprise Park could easily be served off the NYA spur -if they wanted to.
 #1416233  by LINYARailfan

The only active customer left in Huntington is Kleet Lumber. Riverhead Building Supply in Riverhead used to take ten carloads annually, the minimum amount that prevents the LIRR from yanking the switch. That lumber yard is now owned by Marjam Lumber which already takes carloads in Farmingdale. I'm not sure if there are plans for Marjam in Riverhead to start taking cars? Does anybody know if Marjam Lumber in Riverhead will start to take cars at their Riverhead Location? Thanks
 #1416297  by Teutobergerwald

Any customers served by NYA at the Huntington team yard? I remember seeing tankcars within the past 3 years or so, and a few boxcars and gondolas (not LIRR's own fleet) before that, every so often. Saw a Penn Central gondola there with some sort of shrink-wrapped palletized load in 2007 or early '08- snow on the ground, as I recall.
 #1417093  by Teutobergerwald

Two Southern Pacific double-door boxcars and two loaded center beams at Kleet this past week on Monday when I passed by enroute to a point east. Nice to see SP rolling stock out on the iron 20+ years after the hostile takeover.
 #1417272  by freightguy

Two Southern Pacific double-door boxcars and two loaded center beams at Kleet this past week on Monday when I passed by enroute to a point east. Nice to see SP rolling stock out on the iron 20+ years after the hostile takeover.

Even better BNSF still has engines rolling around in BN green or ATSF blue and yellow. Velvet Top took cars in Huntington Team and Greenlawn also. Now it's a once a week( Sat) trip to Kleet.
 #1489802  by LRail

I read that Nassau- Suffolk in Huntington is now Riverhead Bldg. Is that true and does that mean there's a possibility that they will take cars again in Huntington?
-Lee
 #1489891  by Teutobergerwald

I think they are still connected, it may just be a matter of clearing weeds and coming up with a price. Easy move- serve them when Kleet is served.