Railroad Forums 

• Todd Shipyard railroad, Red Hook.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1527110  by ConstanceR46

I'm posting this here because it's closest to what i'm talking about. On Historicaerials, the 1988 view of Todd Shipyard in Red Hook shows a sizable intra-plant rail system and a locomotive - do any of you have an idea of what this facility operated, how late it operated, if it had any interchange, etc etc.
 #1527246  by ConstanceR46

That's where this all gets fishy - On NETRs Historicaerials and the wonderful site of Phil Goldstein, no barge docks on erie basin are listed - making me think it was a standard-gauge intra-plant operation as opposed to getting barged in
 #1527517  by DogBert

There are some photos of the tracks here: https://ltvsquad.com/2006/04/04/todd-sh ... oklyn-nyc/

There was no float bridge that I know of, so I'm assuming the large portal cranes were used to lift materials off ships & barges, onto in-plant rail cars.

Revere Sugar, which was right next door (to the west) also had a rail track running through some of of the buildings.
 #1528270  by BEDT 14

ConstanceR46: see personal email for attachments.

Went back as far as my copies of Army Corp of Engineers Port Facilities at Port of New York 1988, 1965, 1942,1932, 1913. No trackage shown.

But they had two 30 ton Diesel Clutch locomotive cranes (which are self propelled) built by Industrial Brownhoist and numerous Brookville locomotives and rail dollies for moving heavy material around.

But no railroad connections outside of the shipyard. No transfer bridges either, listed either ACoE Port Facilities or CoNY Department of Dock & Wharves.

Searched all my locomotive builders records:

Robins Dry Dock & Repair
Brooklyn, NY

built: 7/26/1941
Brookville 8T 4wDM BMD UD-6 - c/n 2648
Brookville 4w flatcar, 6' long - c/n 2649
Brookville 4w flatcar, 6' long - c/n 2650
Brookville 4w flatcar, 6' long - c/n 2651

built: 12/26/1941
Brookville 8T 4wDM BHA D00C - c/n 2697
Brookville 4w flatcar, 6' long - c/n 2698
Brookville 4w flatcar, 6' long - c/n 2699
Brookville 4w flatcar, 6' long - c/n2700

Todd Shipyard, Erie Basin Dry Docks
Brooklyn, NY

built 11/24/1943
Brookville 4 w flatcar 9' 8" long 40t capacity c/n 2950

all above: standard gauge.

It appears the internal rail network was strictly for moving material around. Very common for large shipyards.

Phil