Railroad Forums 

• M&E North Newark-Montclair via ex-Boonton Line

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1034484  by NJT4115

The Morristown & Erie is NOT purchasing this AFAIK, but do you think it would be a good idea for the M&E to purchase the Lower Boonton from North Newark down to Montclair, then using the "MB" down to Denville to access Dover, Rockaway, and Chester Branches? I think there are some industries off the former West Orange Branch in North Newark that the M&E could get some profit from. Plus, over the Lower Boonton, there is barely any rail traffic on it. Also, during mid-days and weekends, the section of the Montclair-Boonton northwest of MSU has little traffic. Tell me if you think service over the Lower Boonton would be a good idea.
 #1034614  by R36 Combine Coach

I'm sure Montclair and Glen Ridge residents would not be interested in additional freight service.

Also, DB is "severed" (open position). If DB was still in service, this could have been a fairly decent connection to NS interchange and Croxton. In the 1970s EL did run through freight out of Croxton, via Montclair on the Boonton Line route.
 #1034683  by NJT4115

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I'm sure Montclair and Glen Ridge residents would not be interested in additional freight service.

Also, DB is "severed" (open position). If DB was still in service, this could have been a fairly decent connection to NS interchange and Croxton. In the 1970s EL did run through freight out of Croxton, via Montclair on the Boonton Line route.
I believe DB is east of North Newark. Montclair also has quiet zones (but with their whiney nature they will complain no doubt) and Glen Ridge has the Lower Boonton farther away from more populated areas. However, someone turned Benson Street into their house so that may be a small problem. Other than that, most of the tracks west of North Newark are in good condition. Now, bringing freight service east of North Newark would be a problem. The Passaic River bridge is literally falling down and the tracks in Arlington are in terrible condition and I think the crossings are paved over as well. Plus, you have DB, which is also falling down. So North Newark-Montclair-Dover is probably the best decision. Also, I wasn't meaning that this was going to be a large freight line, just a branch, like a freight train a week.
 #1034690  by blockline4180

LOL, where are the customers?? Hartz Mountain closed and I am not aware of any other customers on the East End of the Boonton line!! So... to me, this would make no sense whatsoever for M&E to takeover this line.. Sorry, but that is reality!
 #1034752  by NJT4115

blockline4180 wrote:LOL, where are the customers?? Hartz Mountain closed and I am not aware of any other customers on the East End of the Boonton line!! So... to me, this would make no sense whatsoever for M&E to takeover this line.. Sorry, but that is reality!
They could go down the Newark City Subway via Bloomfield and head down Upper Roseville to Kaslander Lumber on North 5th Street in Newark, unless they can't fit under the catenary.
 #1036243  by RS115

Long awkward way to go for an occassional car of lumber. Who serves them now? Subway/heavy rail you get into time separations ala River Line. Doesn't sound worth the headache unless it's a very large operation that would likely already be getting service.