Railroad Forums 

• ? about M & E

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1016705  by kamerad47

I recently saw a video (summer of 011) of the M & E pushing a UP Reefer who was that for?????
 #1016713  by RS115

Someone ordered something refrigerated? ;-) Seriously, can't say for sure where the car was going. However, for years there was a customer who would periodically receive a reefer of something on the team track at Whippany. If my memory serves it was usually a UP Fruit Express car. Haven't seen this personally in a long time but doesn't mean it still doesn't happen.
 #1016897  by blockline4180

kamerad47 wrote:I recently saw a video (summer of 011) of the M & E pushing a UP Reefer who was that for?????

It probably went to B&G foods(former Polaner) in Roseland... I have seen Reefers in there before!
 #1017114  by R36 Combine Coach

I know B&G/Polaner has received fresh fruit by reefer before. But the video in question is on the Chester Branch and neither Holland nor Kuikens use reefers.
 #1017216  by RS115

In the video the reefer appears to just be along for the ride. They shove it in from the junction, part it at Holland while they do their other switching so it could still be going to/coming from the Whippany line - it wasn't going to/from a Chester Branch consignee.
 #1017225  by RAHWAYVALLEY

The most likely scenario behind that refrigerator car on the Chester Branch would be that the car was set off a Chester Junction by the Norfolk Southern H-02. This car, more than likely, was destined for B&G Foods in Roseland. When the M&E crew arrived at Chester Junction, they merely pushed the refer south on the Chester Branch toward, to either Kuiken Bros or Holland, to pick up empty car(s). They towed the refer north on the Chester Branch, with the empties behind. Back at Chester Junction, they probably set the empties off on the Horn Track, then headed east on NJ Transit with the refer, destined for the Whippany Line and B&G Foods.
 #1017343  by blockline4180

RAHWAYVALLEY wrote:The most likely scenario behind that refrigerator car on the Chester Branch would be that the car was set off a Chester Junction by the Norfolk Southern H-02. This car, more than likely, was destined for B&G Foods in Roseland. When the M&E crew arrived at Chester Junction, they merely pushed the refer south on the Chester Branch toward, to either Kuiken Bros or Holland, to pick up empty car(s). They towed the refer north on the Chester Branch, with the empties behind. Back at Chester Junction, they probably set the empties off on the Horn Track, then headed east on NJ Transit with the refer, destined for the Whippany Line and B&G Foods.

Thanks, that is what I had thought!

Another question, does M&E pick up cars from CSX destined for B&G now, or do they only go to the Center Street Branch for cars destined for Royal Lube???
 #1019776  by blockline4180

bump