Railroad Forums 

• M&E hosting RPCA Conference January 14-17, 2005

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#79504  by jhdeasy

M&E Railway will host the annual conference (convention) of the Railroad Passenger Car Alliance on January 14-17, 2005. The convention site (seminars, meetings, banquet, etc.) is The Headquarters Plaza Hotel in Morristown.

Friday night: cocktail party onboard private cars at Hanover Park (Whippany Museum).

Saturday afternoon: M&E special train (FL-9 locomotives and private cars) from Morristown to NJ Transit Meadowland Maintenance Complex and return for behind the scenes tour of MMC.

Sunday afternoon: behind the scenes tour of Metro North GCT.

Note these events are for registered participants only ... but the Saturday afternoon special train is a photo opportunity for all those in the right place at the right time.

http://www.rpca.com

#79588  by njtmnrrbuff

What time and day do you think the move will run via the Morristown Line. I will try to photograph the move.

#79590  by Tri-State Tom

Ferry move of PV's west out to Morristown on 1/12 and the return ferry move east from Morristown on 1/17 over the ex-Lackawanna main ( NJT ) will be of photographic interest as well !!

#79601  by njt4172

Goody goody gumdrops! :P :P Well have to not miss this move of special PV cars and FL-9's.... Thanks for the heads up!

Steve

#79914  by jhdeasy

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:What time and day do you think the move will run via the Morristown Line. I will try to photograph the move.
M&E special train scheduled to depart Morristown at 12:30 PM and return to Morristown at 5:15 PM on Saturday 01/15 ... subject to NJ Transit operations.

#81270  by kpiersol

Tri-State Tom wrote:Ferry move of PV's west out to Morristown on 1/12 and the return ferry move east from Morristown on 1/17 over the ex-Lackawanna main ( NJT ) will be of photographic interest as well !!
What time of day are these "ferry moves" usually made??

#81592  by Tri-State Tom

That totally depends on NJT....

'Usually'....Generally speaking these moves are most likely to occur after 10 a.m. but before 3 p.m..

Grab a scanner !

#81607  by kpiersol

Tri-State Tom wrote:That totally depends on NJT....

'Usually'....Generally speaking these moves are most likely to occur after 10 a.m. but before 3 p.m..

Grab a scanner !
I guess I'm lost here as to the significance of the "ferry moves" to the FL-9s. As of yesterday, the FL-9s were at the rail museum in Whippany. I would like to get a shot of their movement from Whippany to Morristown on the M&E. When do you think that movement would take place??

#81680  by Lackawanna484

kpiersol wrote:
Tri-State Tom wrote:That totally depends on NJT....

Grab a scanner !
I guess I'm lost here as to the significance of the "ferry moves" to the FL-9s. As of yesterday, the FL-9s were at the rail museum in Whippany. I would like to get a shot of their movement from Whippany to Morristown on the M&E. When do you think that movement would take place??
----------------

I think there are actually two points of interest here. One is the move of the FL-9 units, always a pleasure. The other is the move of several private varnish cars on the Morris & Essex lines, always unusual.

The FL-9 units get out and about on a regular basis, off-line PVs show up just once in a while.

#81756  by Tri-State Tom

kpiersol -

The M&E, as is their normal practice on such moves, will likely send one of the Alcos down the Morristown line to the meadows to retrieve what at this point is an unknown number of private rail cars ( aka 'PV's = Private Varnish ) and their owners/guests who'll be attending/participating in this affair.

After the weekend concludes, a reverse move from Morristown back to the meadows via the Morristown line.

As 484 states, BOTH of these 'ferry' moves will be interesting to view/photograph AND be a welcome change from ho-hum daily boredom of NJTransit.

In between we get the added treat of the FL9's haulin' ass with a neat 'what used to be' fleet of classic coaches....

#81935  by jhdeasy

As of today, it appears that the number of off-line PVs visiting M&E Railway for the RPCA convention is down to one and only one car ... heavyweight business car METIS. The other cars have cancelled their trips to the RPCA conference due to insufficient revenue (sale of space).

#82643  by jhdeasy

I understand one other off-line private car (which makes a total of two) will be coming to the RPCA Conference on the M&E Railway: heavyweight business car MKT 403.

#82789  by Tri-State Tom

Add those 2 dandies to the M&E's existing private car fleet and ya got a heckeva nice train being lugged at track speed behind the FL9's !

Gonna be a welcome treat to see !

I'm guessing the excursion to/from NJT's MMC complex will deboard/board conventioneers at the employee station and perhaps layover in Hoboken while these folks are touring the MMC.

Some good photos to be had under the Bush train sheds....hopefully on track #8 !

#82800  by Lackawanna484

Tri-State Tom wrote:Add those 2 dandies to the M&E's existing private car fleet and ya got a heckeva nice train being lugged at track speed behind the FL9's !

Gonna be a welcome treat to see !

I'm guessing the excursion to/from NJT's MMC complex will deboard/board conventioneers at the employee station and perhaps layover in Hoboken while these folks are touring the MMC.

Some good photos to be had under the Bush train sheds....hopefully on track #8 !
Does the MMC have the facility to turn this train, or will it head east to turn at west end wye? If it goes to west end, I'd guess it will drop pax at the employee platform at Sanfords / MMC.

If they turn at west end wye in the early afternoon, the light should be good for backing down the east leg wye, and reversing onto the westbound track

#82998  by jhdeasy

I believe Saturday afternoon's special train between Morristown and the MMC will either reverse direction at the MMC or turn on the Hoboken west end wye; I don't think the train will travel as far east as Hoboken Terminal.

Prospective consist ...

M&E Railway owned/managed equipment
FL-9 locomotives 488 and 489
ALDER FALLS
ALEXANDER HAMILTON
MORRIS COUNTY
OHIO RIVER

Privately (non-M&E) owned equipment
KITCHI GAMMI CLUB
METIS
MKT 403
MOUNT VERNON

===========

On another topic, KITCH GAMMI CLUB is in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. She will return on Amtrak train #20 arriving NYP on Wednesday January 5th.