Railroad Forums 

• Where does M&E interchange?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#907518  by carajul

Does someone bring the freight to Morristown on the NJT line? Or is the M&E main connected to the outside world somewhere else?
 #907621  by mandealco

Hi Carajul
The M&E has 2 interchange points. Someone a bit closer than he can correct me, but Norfolk Southern at Lake Junction and CSX somewhere near Kearney are the usual ones. Seems from time to time they interchange passenger cars all over the place. Once heard it said that M&E stood for Morristown & Everywhere.
Cheers
Steve
New Zealand
 #907814  by carajul

Does anything go out to NJT anymore in Morristown? I know the signals are still illuminated.
 #908914  by R36 Combine Coach

The M&E Main Line (Whippany Branch) is connected to the NJT Morris & Essex at Morristown (its only connection since the Erie connection was severed). The D&R and Chester Branches also connect to NJT.
 #909127  by RS115

ME is regularly out on NJT to get to their other lines from MOrristown. Interchange is as above. When needed they can also run up to connect with the NYSW to move equipment to Stourbridge.
 #909234  by dano23

The CSX interchange is off the Center Street Branch in Harrison.

While not owners of the tracks they run on, the M&E Bayway operations interchange with Shared Assets along the turnpike in Linden. For a really brief time they did interchange some Bayway traffic off the NJT Raritan Valley Line in Cranford.

Like said, the M&E can also run to Passaic Jct., in Saddle Brook to interchange with the NYS&W as well, though that has always been for the most part handling of passenger cars/locomotives.

In theory, though not the M&E proper add Brunswick, ME for the Maine Eastern interchange with Pan Am/Guilford.

I'm not sure if the rights are still there, but for the NRHS convention in 95, the M&E hauled all of the equipment from all the various NJ historical groups to Scranton, PA. I remember Ben Friedland being asked about it but I forget the details of how exactly that one came about. There was also an excursion to Jim Thorpe, PA from Hoboken with M&E Alcos that I am unsure of the details in how it ran in and out of Allentown.
 #909324  by Sirsonic

The M&E has an interchange with Conrail/CSX in Harrison on the Center St Industrial. Due to the terms of the sale of the Morris County owned lines, only cars destined for the M&E Railway proper can be routed through this interchange. Cars for the other lines are interchanged from Norfolk Southern at Chester Junction.

The M&E has trackage rights on the NJT Bergen County Line to BT to an infrequently used interchange with the NYSW. As above, only cars destined for the M&E Railway proper can be routed via this interchange.

The M&E operations at Bayway are only a contract intraplant switching operation, and therefore cars to/from Bayway are not considered as being interchanged but rather delivered to the customer for handling by their contractor. The M&E never established any interchange for cars moving to or from the SIRY. The only cars handled between Conrail and the M&E at Cranford were cars of company material for use in rebuilding the SIRY. Because, again, there is no interchange in place, these cars would also have been considered as delivered to the customer and not interchanged.
 #911454  by TSTOM

M&E went East @8:20 this morning with 3 tanks and a box....presumedly headed for interchange with CSX in Harrison.
 #911462  by blockline4180

TSTOM wrote:M&E went East @8:20 this morning with 3 tanks and a box....presumedly headed for interchange with CSX in Harrison.
Boxcar?? Interesting.
I wonder how much of that stuff that goes to the new Jefferson Ave. team track is interchanged with CSX??