Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2011

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#888258  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here's the spot, for your 2011 Trainspotting posts, on the M&E Railway. Have fun, be safe and Happty New Year!!
 #888391  by ns3010

They were on the D&R some time Friday morning. At 7:30 am, the tracks at Morris Ave. were still covered. By 12:30 pm, the flanges at the crossing had been cleared.
 #890314  by ns3010

I've never actually seen them on the D&R, but I've heard them and seen evidence many times.
Usually, it is both Tuesday and Friday.

And they were there again today, as the tracks were covered as of 7:15 am, but were clear by 2:45.
 #892630  by Ken S.

R36 Combine Coach wrote:There was a run on the old main late this morning or early afternoon as the rails were clear in the snow along the line. One car was apparently switched at Whippany (not covered in snow this morning but now vacant).
I guess 19 pulled that car up to interchange with NS since 18 is derailed in Dover.
 #892968  by blockline4180

Ken S. wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Yes, right here!

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2011 ... n-in-Dover
I walked up on it today. It didn't look bad enough to require the Pros from North White Plains to come out to Dover.
Ok, and also the 19 must have not gone east of Whippany(If it was working?) yesterday as the Troy Road crossing had not been plowed through.
 #893065  by X4401

The crane was leaving the area today and a bunch of guys were banging away at the gauge clearing the packed ice and snow west of the idling locomotive. I didn't stick around so I don't know if it was successful in getting out.
 #893463  by railroadcarmover

Regarding the derailed M&E unit I called the M&E answering service on friday night to find out if they still needed the unit lifted. I use an outfit in Staten Island that has a special slider rotator tow truck that can lift and rerail locomotives. This same outfit rigged and transported the 2 Staten Island S Alcos from the SIRT. They do great work.

The SR Tow Trucks have great versatility over conventional cranes.
 #893715  by X4401

Railroadcarmover, that makes sense because the "crane" I saw un-railing itself over the grade crossing after completing work did look like a tow truck on steroids.

West of the re-railed locomotive a team of guys were swinging iron to clear the remaining gauge to prevent further derailments. Gota love the sound of the track gang swinging iron, from the comfort of a heated vehicle with a coffee in each hand lol.