Railroad Forums 

• Article regarding the Chester Branch

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#840425  by cjvrr

Work within the County Concrete facility is in full swing. Track was removed right up to First Street after the train movement on Monday (8/16).

Approximately 400' of the existing main track within the County Concrete facility will be moved eastward to create a new siding for County Concrete. Once out of the way, the new main track will be installed. A turnout will be installed by M&E employees at a later date specifically for County Concrete's use.

Track needs to be back in service again by August 27th for an anticipated delivery to Holland.

Concrete panels for two 100' long crossings within the County Concrete facility are on-site and should be installed during this 8 day work window.

All ballast for the project is being supplied by County Concrete.

The Berkshire Valley Road bridge paint / rust removal, priming and painting is ongoing.
 #840433  by SemperFidelis

I don't believe County Concrete has had active rail service for well over a decade. Are they going to be a new customer, or is this work simply to replace an inactive siding that was there?
 #840436  by SemperFidelis

Sorry about that. Got the "H" list in my head backwards. Holland is the company to which I was referring mistakenly as "Henderson".
 #840537  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:Sorry about that. Got the "H" list in my head backwards. Holland is the company to which I was referring mistakenly as "Henderson".
Hahaha, no biggie...When you said "Henderson" I thought they were some company down by the old Westinghouse siding.
 #840933  by ccutler

they could become a ballast provider to NJT and M&E from their gravel pits there?
 #843750  by cjvrr

County Concrete did not have a siding at the current time. Many years ago they did have a siding. As per my previous message, the former main line was shifted over in a few large pieces for installation at a later date. That work will be performed separately from the County contract.

As of today track has been completed up to First Street except for the second 100' long crossing within County Concrete. The second County Concrete crossing, the First Street crossing and perhaps the Main Street crossing are scheduled for replacement next week.

Turnouts should be delivered to the site within the next week or two in pieces and then put together on-site.

The week after next, work will move north of Route 46.

Bridge painting of the Berkshire Valley Road bridge is approximately 50%-60% complete.
 #843852  by SemperFidelis

I don't think County is going to get into the ballast game, but the reasoning for that opinion is a few years old now so it may well be wrong. When I last did business with them they didn't want to get into selling sand or stone, they just wanted to use the material for their ready-mix operations. Rail remains too costly for shipping inbound cement and County only uses their own sand and stone which is mined/dredged only a mile from their plant.

Who knows? A siding is better than no siding!
 #847541  by blockline4180

Good Article in the Daily rag today!
pair of businesses that flank the Chester Branch railroad have said they plan to take advantage of the rail line that is being rebuilt with federal stimulus funding.

County Concrete, which operates a large sand and cement operation in the Kenvil section of Roxbury adjacent to the Chester Branch, plans to build a siding so it can begin to ship material to its other locations, and possibly new customers, by rail.

Kuiken Brothers, a Bergen County-based lumber retailer that operates a showroom on Route 10 in Succasunna, is planning to utilize the rebuilt line to ship and receive materials at its lumberyard alongside the rail line.
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2010 ... businesses
 #847575  by SecaucusJunction

I really hope these customers actually come online. I'm still waiting for the M&E to have ANY movement on the Stourbridge Line that was rebuilt a few years back. I'm not sure they should be the ones running this operation.
 #847586  by Kaback9

SecaucusJunction wrote:I really hope these customers actually come online. I'm still waiting for the M&E to have ANY movement on the Stourbridge Line that was rebuilt a few years back. I'm not sure they should be the ones running this operation.
They have been interchanging cars with the NYS&W lately, not sure whats in them but they looked like scrap gons.
 #853383  by cjvrr

September 23rd update;

Track between the Kuiken turnout and Ferromonte Junction will be substantially complete by the end of the day.

Kuiken turnout is 90% complete

Turnout on the south end of the run a round track north of Main Street is complete. Other three turnouts in the
Holland manufacturing area are on site pending acceptable switch timbers. These will be installed as the schedule permits.

All steel materials are on site, including rail, turnouts, plates, etc.

Berkshire Valley Road bridge painting has been completed.

Main Street and Berkshire Valley Road crossing replacements are pending material deliveries.

M&E is expected to drill Holland on Friday Sept 24th.
 #853394  by blockline4180

CV,

Thanks for that update!
What is the track condition in between Ferromonte Junction and the NJT interchange?? Will that segment be replaced if it is in poor condition?? Thanks.
 #853702  by cjvrr

blockline4180 wrote:CV,

Thanks for that update!
What is the track condition in between Ferromonte Junction and the NJT interchange?? Will that segment be replaced if it is in poor condition?? Thanks.
Block,

That section is also part of the project and work will begin north of Ferromonte Junction sometime next week. Existing track condition in that area is just as bad and in some places worse than the sections we have already replaced.

Chris
 #856960  by X4401

I noticed that the new run around by Holland appears to be fairly short (at least while being tailgated on main street). Is the Holland run around just for an engine to run around a few cars or is it something more complex?
 #857094  by cjvrr

Just to run around a few cars at a time. It will eliminate the current procedure of M&E pushing the cars from Lake Junction all the way to Holland.
X4401 wrote:I noticed that the new run around by Holland appears to be fairly short (at least while being tailgated on main street). Is the Holland run around just for an engine to run around a few cars or is it something more complex?