Railroad Forums 

• Article regarding the Chester Branch

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#928023  by cjvrr

Ribbon cutting or Last spike driving ceremony will be held on May 11 at 12:30pm at Holland Manufacturing. An inspection train will be running that day for the guests.
 #934914  by Jeff Smith

Glad I searched this forum for the Chester Branch, rather than start a new thread. Here's a new article:

http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20New ... tated.aspx (Subscription may be required)
RANDOLPH, N.J. — Morristown & Erie can begin freight service on the Chester branch following $6 million in work on the 4-mile route, the New Jersey Star-Ledger has reported. The ex-Delaware, Lackawanna & Western branch, which Morris County now owns, benefited from a stimulus grant.
Holland Manufacturing appears to get much of the credit.

Also, post linked on Facebook. We're shooting for 1,000 "likes", so be sure to follow us here: https://www.facebook.com/RailroadNet
 #935058  by Jeff Smith

Thanks for that update. Before I do so, I'll ask for input from the moderators of the respective forums and users as well where any merged thread should go, and if it should be merged at all. My first instinct is since it will be an M&E operation, it should go in this forum, not NJ Railfan.

What do you all think?
 #935060  by Jeff Smith

cjvrr pointed out in another thread in the M&E forum that this was the main thread for the discussion. Here is the M&E thread:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 14&t=74506

I'd like to merge the threads. Before I do so, I'll ask for input from the moderators of the respective forums and users as well where any merged thread should go, and if it should be merged at all. My first instinct is since it will be an M&E operation, it should go in the M&E forum thread, not NJ Railfan.

What do you all think?
 #935307  by GOLDEN-ARM

i'm the only m&e mod. the other guys bailed. this topic works better here, than in the nj forum. the topic linked 2 posts up, could be moved to this forum, or merged into this thread. either one is fine, but it's really a matter for the m&e, not the nj forum. ;)
 #943369  by X4401

Easily two or three days a week recently, usually between 10:00 and 13:00 in the am. I'm just going by casual observation, not any inside knowledge, most of the uptick in activity seems to be center beams going to Kuiken before their big lumber show a week or so back (which had for a display an Alco, two center beams, and that Houdini Conrail hack that appears and disappears from the pig tail at Dover yard). Other traffic is mainly Holland, getting hot cars, starch cars, and some box cars.
 #943421  by blockline4180

X4401 wrote:Easily two or three days a week recently, usually between 10:00 and 13:00 in the am. I'm just going by casual observation, not any inside knowledge, most of the uptick in activity seems to be center beams going to Kuiken before their big lumber show a week or so back (which had for a display an Alco, two center beams, and that Houdini Conrail hack that appears and disappears from the pig tail at Dover yard). Other traffic is mainly Holland, getting hot cars, starch cars, and some box cars.

There was also a box car at Kuikens earlier last week.
 #977171  by ns3010

Forgot to mention last night that the Route 46 crossing had a sign saying that the crossing would be closed in the very near future (can't remember the exact date, but I know it was within a week or two) for replacement.

Also of note, the High Bridge Branch Route 10 crossing also had the same sign.
 #977244  by cjvrr

Thanks for posting that Joe. Yes, this is the final piece of track that needs to be replaced on the Chester Branch. It is being done through a different funding source outside of the original Stimulus Funds and had been allocated long before Stimulus funding was dreamed up.

The Route 10 crossing on the HBB is being done in preparation of upgrades to Route 10 at the Commerce Blvd. intersection.
 #977286  by blockline4180

cjvrr wrote:
The Route 10 crossing on the HBB is being done in preparation of upgrades to Route 10 at the Commerce Blvd. intersection.
Chris,

Any updates on potential HBB customers south of Rte 10?? Is Target industries now completley out of business?? Does Toys still want to receive high cubed cars if NS can ever raise the P'burg Branch on the WASS??

Thanks in advance!
 #977527  by X4401

I saw a crew today working on route ten where the HBB crosses it. They were using a large walk behind wet saw, had the fast lane blocked with a local PD car and four small traffic cones and a box truck. I'm not sure if this is related or not.