Railroad Forums 

• Current M&E Roster

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1281070  by therudycometh

Correct, the 489 is back in service and running with the 488 on The Mid-Coast Limited. Otherwise, the roster that thebigham posted is correct.
 #1281128  by thebigham

therudycometh wrote:Correct, the 489 is back in service and running with the 488 on The Mid-Coast Limited. Otherwise, the roster that thebigham posted is correct.
It's your roster! I just edited it.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.
 #1282872  by Angus202

Anyone have an idea what the plan for #22 is? There was a lot of work done a few years back when they pulled the MK Sulzer and installed a 567. I recall there were issues getting the long hood to fit back on, but seems that was resolved. I don't know if it ever ran after the transplant. Love to know what's up with this unique, white-elephant.

-Ryan
 #1282997  by therudycometh

Angus202 wrote:Anyone have an idea what the plan for #22 is? There was a lot of work done a few years back when they pulled the MK Sulzer and installed a 567. I recall there were issues getting the long hood to fit back on, but seems that was resolved. I don't know if it ever ran after the transplant. Love to know what's up with this unique, white-elephant.

-Ryan
No plans currently. Hood still doesn't fit right. Never ran after the transplant. No longer has traction motors - they are now under #20.
 #1286559  by therudycometh

Roster additions: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 4&t=157082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1301035  by therudycometh

Updated:

SVC = Serviceable (Operational or down for minor running repairs)
OOS = Out of Service

*RRPX is a leasing company owned by M&E president Wes Weis. The two companies are not otherwise affiliated.

C424 #18 - SVC in Morristown
C424 #19 - SVC in Morristown
SW1500 #20 - SVC at Bayway, going to Morristown for complete overhaul when #23 gets to Bayway
RS1 #21 - OOS at Whippany, RRPX-owned
GP9M #22 - OOS at Jefferson Road runaround
GP7u #23 - SVC, en route to Morristown, ultimately going to Bayway
GP7u #24 (former #21) - OOS, en route to Morristown
GP9 #25 (former #79) - OOS, en route to Morristown
GP7 #100 - OOS in Rockland, Maine
FL9 #485 - OOS on Vornado siding, RRPX-owned
FL9 #488 - SVC in Rockland, Maine, RRPX-owned
FL9 #489 - SVC in Rockland, Maine, RRPX-owned
SW1200 #557 - SVC at Bayway, RRPX-owned (FOR SALE)
SW1200 #559 - Stored SVC at Ridgedale runaround, RRPX-owned (FOR SALE)
SW1200 #563 - Stored SVC at Morristown shop, RRPX-owned (FOR SALE)
GP9 #764 - SVC in Rockland, Maine, RRPX-owned
M420 #3573 - SVC in Rockland, Maine
C424 #4204 - OOS at Ridgedale runaround, RRPX-owned
Plymouth #7299 - SVC in Morristown, owned by the Military Transport Association
 #1376625  by Watchman318

I believe Trains magazine recently reported 764 being leased to the Strasburg. I don't have a link to the article, but saw it quoted on another forum.
 #1376630  by amtrakhogger

The 764 was in Hudson yard last week for interchange. I don't know who handled the move.
 #1383217  by Steve F45

With the M&E not getting to keep the tourist operations in Maine, is all that power they bought last year now considered surplus power and will not be worked on?
 #1383224  by mandealco

I can't really answer your question Steve, but I can repeat what I have read and heard elsewhere that is public knowledge. Also, check out the M&E's press release from November last year. I can't find it now, but I think it referred to using the power to support or expand the existing services.

The MERR power recently returned from Maine, is likely to get other work. The 764 is away on lease as we know. The 3573 may potentially end up in Olean, as was mooted for the 4204. The 488-489 will probably get excursion train work. As posted elsewhere, the M&E will be running their own passenger trains next Christmas, rather than the Whippany Railway Museum. Extensive renovations to the Whippany Station are very likely connected with these trains.

Personally (this is the Alco fan in me speaking) why would you replace maintainable second generation road power with gas guzzling first generation geeps? I admit the 23 looks great, but............

Cheers
Steve
NZ