Railroad Forums 

• Current M&E Roster

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1250397  by therudycometh

If you're interested in roster information.....

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 4&t=154945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1259753  by Sandy Burton

The M&E has started scrapping the M420 #3562 at Morristown. Beginning is a relative term since it has been a parts unit for some time. Should be all gone in a couple of weeks, so I am told. :(

Sandy
 #1259879  by mandealco

Thanks Sandy. At least I managed a photo when we visited, nearly 2 years ago.
Cheers
Steve
 #1260402  by mandealco

Thanks for the photos Rudy. Sad to see another MLW get the axe, but if it keeps other Alco power going a little longer, then it's a good cause. What parts get salvaged for reuse in other Alcos? I have a use for the cab, but I don't think I could afford the postage.
Cheers
Steve
 #1260441  by therudycometh

We save anything we can. We're taking the trucks once the engine is scrapped from over them. We also save headlights, a lot of electrical components and cab equipment, fan motors, blowers, anything that we can use really. Depends on the engine and what's still good on it and what will fit our other locomotives. This engine doesn't match a lot of our other Alcos, so the parts we take are pretty much for the M420 #3573 that's still running in Maine.
 #1260468  by MEC407

How about transplanting the cab onto one of your RS-11s and creating an RS-11W? :wink:

I kid, I kid. But you gotta admit that would look pretty bad@$$.
 #1260678  by Sandy Burton

It looks like FL-9 487 is next in line for the scrappers torch. Rudy, are you sure that the trucks of 3562 are being saved. On Friday afternoon one of them was being cut up and loaded onto a flat-bed truck next to a chunk of the 3562.

Sandy
 #1260791  by therudycometh

487 is in fact next. FL9 #486, C424 #4231, and RS11 #7205 are all in line, not sure of the order yet.

Front truck from 3562 was discovered to be cracked and was scrapped after the brake rigging was removed and saved. Rear truck will be saved and rebuilt for 3573 in Maine.
 #1260803  by traingeek8223

I thought the 7205 was going to be sold? What occurred to put it in scrapping category?
 #1261115  by therudycometh

traingeek8223 wrote:I thought the 7205 was going to be sold? What occurred to put it in scrapping category?
It WAS sold - to a scrapper.