Railroad Forums 

• FL9's + 5 headed east

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#60636  by Tri-State Tom

At about 2:15 this afternoon, the M&E FL9's headed east at track speed out of Morristown en route to Paterson Junction. In the consist were PV's 'Ohio River', 'Mt. Vernon', 'Morris County', 'Alder Falls' and a maroon cigar band Ob.

The entire train is to be turned over to the NYS&W for an excursion this weekend.

#60720  by TRAINMAN

The WS4 went West from PC at about 8:15 PM with NYS&W 4006, ex Guilford 405, Steam engine # 142 (under steam), 2 M&E FL-9's and 13 passenger cars Some from the M&E and one from the New York and Greenwood Lake, as well as the NYS&W gift shop and 4 coaches and 14 freight cars.

#60758  by Tri-State Tom

So what's the event up north ?

Sounds great !

#60769  by TRAINMAN

On Oct. 16 & 17 anniversary steam trips for the Sesquicentennial of the Syracuse, Binghamton & New York Railway. More info at www.nysw.com

#60973  by Tri-State Tom

Ah....thanks TM.

Isn't clear what role the F's will play in the weekend trips....sounds like steam only with the 142....wondering why they went along....maybe as 'protect' power ?

When next week would they and the 5 PV's likely be brought back to Paterson Junction for pick-up by the M&E ?

#61086  by Greg

You can see the entire consist from Rt 80 in Saddle Brook, they are in the NYS&W yard's north most track.

#61120  by Tri-State Tom

Greg -

Reports are the train arrived in Bingo at 9 a.m. yesterday morning....

What was left behind ?

#61390  by TRAINMAN

I think the M&E FL-9's are for head end power for the PV cars as well as helpers for the 142.

#61427  by njt4172

TRAINMAN wrote:I think the M&E FL-9's are for head end power for the PV cars as well as helpers for the 142.
I'll be riding the Sunday trip. I'll report on the consist they use when I get back...

Steve
 #61452  by Sandy Burton

488 and 489 were behind NYS&W 142 and they were followed by NYS&W 2012 and 4006, then the passenger consist. So, contrary to popular opinion, they could not be used for HEP since the freight engines were between the FL-9s and the 20 passenger cars. All the PVs with diesel generators had them running. Poor planning on someone's part, it seems to me.

Sandy Burton

#61462  by Lackawanna484

That seems like a lot of horsepower for 20 passenger cars, especially without a bleed for HEP.

Figure 3500 for the 2 Fs, plus 6000 for the 2 diesels, and concede the 2-8-2 as going along for the ride. Do the FL-9s MU through the nose, or did the trip require three crews (1 on the 142, 1 on the 2012/4006, 1 on the Fs)?

#61682  by O-6-O

I just got home from chasin the train today. Cloudy,cool but sun did break
out a little at Whitney Point on the south bound run. 142lead 4006,2012
488, 489 and 21 nice looking (well maybe not the ConDot pair)cars south
leaving SY about 20 mins late. Runby at Tully, water just north of Cortland station, brief stop at Cortland. Continued south making good time
with another runby at WP. Only diesel crew was in the 4006 that I saw
and the 9,s were online. Since I don't know my way around Bingo that
well I got lost looking for QD where the train terminated. They swapped
the power around on the wye east/north of QD but she did finally show up although it looked strange with the 142 coupled to Walters "Pope-
moble. Had a nice chat with Earl P. who was running the train. Some
one asked him how much the diesels ''helped" with the train and he said
he only needed a push to the grade in Jamesville since the line is pretty
flat following the Tioughnioga River south from Cortland. Earl also said
that the 142 used about 4-41/2 tons of coal and a tank and a half of
water. I also chased the return trip as I wanted to see the 9's on the
point in their M&E paint. (I liked them in their Amtrak scheme better I
think). All in all it was a great time. I never tire of steam.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#61879  by njt4172

Well, since everybody beat me to the post I won't have to report on it. The Sunday trip was very successful and the photo runbys went well. The only downside was the weather, however the sun did come out briefly in Binghamton.

Steve

#62040  by denvillerailfan

Any word on when they'll be coming home?

#62620  by RS115

AS of 1:15 Wed afternoon the FL9's were back in Morristown sitting up on the hill on the old interchange track. Don't know if they brought the equipment back with them but did here a unit going east towards Whippany from the office not that much earlier. If they pulled west, shoved into the M&E lead it's possible the 4223 tied onto the east end and took the cars off to Whippany for storage.

Other activity - 20 sitting alongside the house running/smoking a great deal with someone tinkering under the hood. The two outermost tracks in the shop area have gotten a seemingly complete rebuild complete with ballast and tamping. Look to be fit for a lot more than 5MPH shop moves.