Railroad Forums 

• Possible Morristown Erie private car in foreign territory

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#59316  by njtmnrrbuff

Does the Morristown and Erie have any private cars? The reason why I am asking is because when I was at Ardsley-on-Hudson railfanning, I noticed on the rear of the Late Shore, a private car. It looked like it had the Morristown and Erie symbol. I got a shot of it but it was a slide.

#59337  by Al Holleuffer

The Morristown & Erie owns quite a few private cars and several others are stored on their Whippany Line when not on the road. M&E office car Ohio River is a frequent traveller on Amtrak trains. Until recently it was still in its full Louisville & Nashville RR paint but it recetnly went through the M&E's paint booth. It was in Hoboken a couple of weeks ago for a wheel turning job.

If it was a big blue heavyweight open platform observation with a silver roof you saw and photographed it was probably their office car

Al Holleuffer
 #59418  by Sandy Burton

The Ohio River was repainted into its Louisville & Nashville colors a couple of weeks ago. Looked really good coming out of the paint shop on 9/24. Since then it has been out on a charter so you probably saw it on its way back to New Jersey.

Sandy
 #60283  by jhdeasy

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Does the Morristown and Erie have any private cars? The reason why I am asking is because when I was at Ardsley-on-Hudson railfanning, I noticed on the rear of the Late Shore, a private car. It looked like it had the Morristown and Erie symbol. I got a shot of it but it was a slide.
Yes - M&E Railway owns more than a few private cars.

M&E Railway owns heavyweight business car OHIO RIVER. OHIO RIVER, in company with lightweight bedroom lounge car MOUNT VERNON (owned by Dominion Rail Voyages and stored on the M&E Railway at Whippany), were traveling on Amtrak # 48 (Lake Shore Ltd) arriving New York on Friday October 8th. The two cars had teamed for a Pacific northwest charter for a client from Montana.

#60399  by Angus202

I believe it was the ohio river... but 4223 was putting one their blue private cars back onto track 1 in whippany tonight when the Kitchi Gammi Club car went offrail, crews worked into the dark but got the truck back on track tonight (tuesday)

-Ryan