Railroad Forums 

• M&E Operating Days

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#758884  by ns3010

What days does the M&E operate on all the different lines.
From my observations (hearing the horns at Morris Ave. and seeing the track snowcovered in the morning, but clear flanges in the afternoon), they seem to switch the Dover & Rockaway on Tuesday afternoons, typically between 1:15 and 2:30, but that's the extent of my knowledge.
Do they run on other days? And what about other lines?

Thanks
 #758930  by RAHWAYVALLEY

M&E normally operates a road crew from Morristown on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Normally no trains on Wednesday or Thursday.
 #758931  by Sandy Burton

My understanding is that they are operating only Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Friday seems to be a good day to catch them on the original M&E. HOWEVER, they will go where ever they need to on any given day based on customer needs.

Sandy
 #759004  by blockline4180

RAHWAYVALLEY wrote:M&E normally operates a road crew from Morristown on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Normally no trains on Wednesday or Thursday.
Are you sure they don't run any trains on Wednesday or Thursday? I thought it was a Wednesday when I caught them going east down to Kearny a few weeks ago.
 #759234  by Sandy Burton

They don't normally work on Wednesday or Thursday. However, they may have been delivering or retrieving some private varnish.

Sandy
 #849454  by R36 Combine Coach

Of all the times I've noticed, service on the Dover-Rockaway Branch has been on Fridays, usually between 12-2 PM along the Green Pond Road industrial park. Is this regular recently?
 #853917  by blockline4180

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Of all the times I've noticed, service on the Dover-Rockaway Branch has been on Fridays, usually between 12-2 PM along the Green Pond Road industrial park. Is this regular recently?
It is all on an "as needed" basis. They serve the lines based on the customers needs. I could be wrong, but I think there are 3 plastics customers on the D&R now. I read somewhere that they actually served Holland on the Chester Branch today.
 #859460  by R36 Combine Coach

Polyfil and Endot make up the bulk of D-R traffic. Not sure about NexPak. 84 Lumber has been out of service for about 10 years.
 #859588  by blockline4180

R36 Combine Coach wrote: 84 Lumber has been out of service for about 10 years.

Not true, I remember seeing a centerbeam car at 84 lumber a few years ago...They may be very sporadic, but are still listed as active.
 #859822  by R36 Combine Coach

I spoke to an 84 employee when stopping by and he mentioned no service since 1999 or so. Might be wrong though.
 #860030  by blockline4180

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I spoke to an 84 employee when stopping by and he mentioned no service since 1999 or so. Might be wrong though.

Well, he must be wrong, because I remember seeing a car spotted in there a few times between 2003 and 2006.