Railroad Forums 

• #20 sw1500 excursion power?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#755103  by airman00

Just curious, saw some video's of whippany museum excursions, with #20 sw1500 as power. How often does the whippany musuem run excursions with #20 sw1500 as the power?
 #756188  by sean3f

The #20 is the newest loco that they have, makes sense to use it often! But, I have seen E8's and the Alco's many times too. Even in the same day they may use diffrent power, they keep you guessing.

#20 and E8's-----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0n_rHS1hY

#20 and E8's on the side ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wepjE2A-W2Y
 #756483  by RS115

The E units were long-departed visitors. #20 spends most of it's time down in Linden switching the former Bayway refinery (forget what they call it now) periodically rotating to Morristown for inspection and maintenance. If one of the museum trains is happening when it's in town it gets used. Over the years museum trains have seen #20, 18 & 19, the departed F-40's, FL-9's and #21 plus probably some other things. It's whatever is in service at the moment that will do the job.
 #756651  by airman00

We had #18 for the musuem caboose train I took in september. The website said #21 was going to be the power, but then #18, plus #563, (sw1001? or sw1200?) was brought along to switch the cabooses from the siding onto the main. Then #18 powered the train.

It appears that M&E doesn't have alot of power left.

On a related note who owns #563? Is it an M&E engine? They could use that for museum power.
 #756837  by Sid Farkus

18 is almost always used on the seasonal trains and it has been usually 19 on the other end. If one of the FL9s are back ion NJ for maintenance than the FL9 will be used because it has HEP. I think with the ME is that they always use 18 and whatever is available and has easy accessibility.
 #756901  by Btkspot89

563 is property of the RRPX. 21 would normally be used on the ME excursions but as far as I have heard it is having some running issues. To say that the ME lacks power in my opinion is incorrect. It being a decent shortline has sufficent power to allow for it's daily operations. Also not to mention it has a couple reserve locomotives they keep spread through out their territory.