Railroad Forums 

• ALERT-M & E vehicle reported missing from Morristown yar

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#56644  by 7 Train

In today's (9/29) Star-Ledger Morris section. A 1997 white 4-door Chevy C-3500 pickup with flanged to allow it to travel on railway tracks was reported missing yesterday. Al Siebold, special agent with the Morristown & Erie Railway police said it is believed an employee moved the vehicle from a locked barbed-wire yard.

Things to look for:

-1997 Chevy C-3500 pickup
-white
-4-door
-extended cab
-flanged railway wheels for rail use
-red/yellow diamond logo with M & E initials
-New York plates

Anyone with infomation should be asked to contact Morristown & Erie Railway Police.
 #56688  by Pull Man

The vehicle in question was located and is in the process of being examined by authorities. It will be returned to Morristown later today. The Morristown & Erie has taken the necessary steps to prevent a reoccurance of this incident. ARS
 #56749  by RS115

When did the M&E establish a police department? I'm interested as I've noted a couple of other shortlines have established one or two man depts as well. Would think that the liability insurance premiums would be pretty steep.
 #56783  by Pull Man

The Morristown & Erie Railway Police is a relatively new agency. Members of the new Department are fully commissioned police officers.

The TSA, in response to Homeland Security mandates, has encouraged short lines to establish law enforcement agencies. Also, incidents of trespass and vandalism prompted M&E to take the initiative. The Department will grow as the M&E establishes itself in new markets and developes its customer base. ARS

#56793  by denvillerailfan

I hate to ask this, but with all that said, Are there areas that will now off-limits? From what I've seen, M&E has always been VERY railfan friendly, but with all this going on do we just wait for the Pumpkin Fest or Santa train, if we want to see M&E in action?
I don't mind email if you don't want to post answers to this here.

#56870  by njt4172

denvillerailfan wrote:I hate to ask this, but with all that said, Are there areas that will now off-limits? From what I've seen, M&E has always been VERY railfan friendly, but with all this going on do we just wait for the Pumpkin Fest or Santa train, if we want to see M&E in action?
I don't mind email if you don't want to post answers to this here.
denvillerailfan,

If you stop by at the offices in Morristown and ask them then they should let you photograph the equipment. Sometimes you may need to show some documentation. I am a member of the NYSWTHS and Tri-State so I showed them my cards and they let me take pictures! Btw, you gonna be in Whippany this Sunday??

Steve

#56888  by njtransitrookie

Just plain common sense !
 #56896  by Pull Man

The M&E will require all rail photographers to obtain a release prior to entering on our property for the purpose of railfan photography. Release forms are currently available at the Morristown office. ARS

#56952  by denvillerailfan

Thanks the the info. I will definitely stop in.

njt4172,
Yes, I won't miss this one... Hope we're goin' to Roseland. I suppose you will also be there? Any idea when? I will be there with my wife and 1 yr old daughter... Hope I get to stay!!! (so far she loves trains as long as she's not sleeping!)

I can't help but to dream that will be my commute someday... Denville -> Roseland via RAIL!... and then I wake up...

Thanks,