Railroad Forums 

• The SIRR AND RVRR II

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#67863  by rvrrhs

May I add that I value Trainlawyer for some his "devil's advocate" insight. It's not that he is espousing an anti-rail point of view, just that he is stating the obstacles to projects and proposals, or he is making us aware of the "other side's" point of view--which [almost] never gets representation around here.

As to the proposal to build senior housing on the RVRR right-of-way, how can you build a 20-foot-wide, 5-mile-long facility? For example, there are no crossings for more than a mile between Baltusrol and Mountain Ave. in Springfield, and the ROW passes between industrial/commercial sites in Union, and is tucked between existing buildings and roads through Kenilworth.

#67890  by CNJFAN

Does anyone have any new info regarding the rehab work on the SIRR in Cranford?
Are they almost finished?
Last edited by CNJFAN on Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

#67910  by bystander

HEY, why did I get draged into this. Lawyers and weatherman, perfect together.

#68020  by njt4172

bystander,

Stop trying to pretend you are me....... :-D

#68134  by mikec

Trainlawyer's and everyone else's insight is valued on this and all of Railroad.net's forums. But please can we get back on the topic.
 #68229  by ChooChooHead2

There was very little activity in Cranford last week. In fact, the work crew that usually assembles there every morning, was nowhere to be found from Wednesday on.

#68232  by CNJFAN

I wonder what's up with that?

#68976  by Ken W2KB

Maybe they are done with the trackwork. I had recently read that the grade crossing signal materials were ordered, but not expected to be delivered for a few weeks. That may be all that is left to do? Crews may be working elsewhere for the time being, though some of the equipment is still at Aldene.

#69252  by Ken W2KB

There was a crew at Aldene this morning, with the large dumptruck highrail on the track, loaded with ballast.
 #69283  by pumpers

Any Northeast Corridor riders out there who can report any
activity on strengthening the SIRR bridge over the NEC?

Someone posted a few weeks ago that steel for that
project should be arriving soon...
JS

#69475  by markyk

From what I understand........The M&E will need some work windows from Amtrak to perform the bridge strenghtening. It may be a slow process, since the work may be required to be done in the middle of the night or on weekends...

#69546  by Jtgshu

Glaced up there today from the head end of my train, and I didn't notice anything different or any work on the SIRT bridge.

#69564  by ChooChooHead2

Passing by Cranford Jct yesterday, noticed the crew had assembled again.

I also saw the flatbed hi-railer loaded up with new ties at the corner of South Ave and Springfield Ave, heading towards Springfield. I wonder if they were being delivered to the RVRR ROW?

#69602  by Ken W2KB

I was wondering the same. Saw the activity at Aldene again this morning from 5702. Could be that the crews are filling in slack time by working to the north.

#69605  by Ken W2KB

>>>From what I understand........The M&E will need some work windows from Amtrak to perform the bridge strenghtening. It may be a slow process, since the work may be required to be done in the middle of the night or on weekends...<<<

Definitely the case. By way of example, PSE&G needs to coordinate work on its transmission overbuild on the Amtrak catenary poles, and it's often difficult to schedule given the train frequency on the NEC.