• The SIRR AND RVRR II

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by njt4172

This topic certainly has been quiet over the past week...........

by mikec

Well there hasn't been much going on. I think they are waiting for Signaling equipment on the SIRR. And a time frame to do bridge work over the NEC. On the RV, the only things I have notices is more ties in the kenilworth yard. There was a temp barrier made up of Ties blocking the ROW north off liberty in Union I guess to keep vehicles from driving into the woods. It has been removed. Thats about all I have seen.

by Ken W2KB

I did note a bit of activity yesterday at Aldene in the morning, loading a highrail maybe.

by CNJFAN

The latest that I heard recently is that they are still waiting for the steel to be delivered for the bridge over the NEC.
It should be soon.
  by Douglas John Bowen

Meanwhile, on the political front, State Sen. Thomas Kean Jr. (R-21) continues to stump for cessation of all efforts to reactivate the Rahway Valley portion of the project. (It appears he may have given in to the ex-Staten Island portion.)

Mr. Kean appeared before a "good government" coalition of groups in Madison, N.J., Tuesday, Nov. 30, to make his case. Disavowing any "NIMBY" sentiment, Mr. Kean focused on the possible impact of freight movements on roads (notably U.S. Route 22) and the inability of the route to offer "serious" freight diversion from area roads.

To NJ-ARP (present at the meeting), the two points seem paradoxical.

NJ-ARP is attempting to arrange a meeting with Sen. Kean to explore our relative (polar-opposite) positions more fully.

by njt4172

I don't understand how this stupid Kean Jr. guy can derail the SIRT project when nearly 75% of the line is rehabbed and completed.......Ok, there gonna rip the rails back up again......Pointless!!
  by rvrrhs

Douglas John Bowen wrote:Meanwhile, on the political front, State Sen. Thomas Kean Jr. (R-21) continues to stump for cessation of all efforts to reactivate the Rahway Valley portion of the project. (It appears he may have given in to the ex-Staten Island portion.)

Mr. Kean appeared before a "good government" coalition of groups in Madison, N.J., Tuesday, Nov. 30, to make his case. Disavowing any "NIMBY" sentiment, Mr. Kean focused on the possible impact of freight movements on roads (notably U.S. Route 22) and the inability of the route to offer "serious" freight diversion from area roads.

To NJ-ARP (present at the meeting), the two points seem paradoxical.

NJ-ARP is attempting to arrange a meeting with Sen. Kean to explore our relative (polar-opposite) positions more fully.
Doug, don't forget that the RV reactivation is also supposed to include customers between Roselle Park and Summit, not just act as a "diversion" for through-freight. There are several commercial properties in Union alone that could benefit from reactivation, including a big "brownfield" adjacent to the ROW for which rail service could be major a factor in future development. Then there are the commercial properties along the ROW in Summit, Springfield, Kenilworth, and Roselle Park as well.

That would mean enhancing and increasing commerce in the county (ratables!) while limiting any increases in truck traffic.

by Don Maxton

Absolutely, Alan. That part of Union near the wye is nearly an industrial wasteland. It had been filled with thriving businesses for many years. Just check out the Sanborn maps of the area.

Along the Union branch, I'm reasonably certain that Jaeger Lumber would again be a customer. Kalustyan's, the spice company, is another potential customer. RVRR once served another spice manufacturer on that site. One former RVRR employee said that they used to deliver boxcars filled with oregano!

by rvrrhs

I'm talking about the segment over near Iorio St. and Liberty Ave.

There's that recently constructed Duerr plant (they do injection molding and mold-making) where Farcher's Grove used to be, and there's a HUUUUUUUGE open lot with a concrete slab just a few properties closer to Rt. 22 (which I referred to as the "brownfield"). There must be several other potential customers in that little clump of commercial properties, too, and perhaps Breeze-Eastern would have use of rail service once again.

Besides the companies adjacent to the ROW, there are plenty of customers for a team track in the area. They are located in places like the industrial zones off Rt. 22 in Springfield, and in several areas of Kenilworth (where the old Monsanto branch of the RVRR used to serve, for example).

by Ken W2KB

>>>supposed to include customers between Roselle Park and Summit, not just act as a "diversion" for through-freight. <<<

I think you misunderstand Kean's remark. He means diversion of trucks from area roads, not diversion of railfreight from one line to another. His view, as expressed to him by nimby constituents, is that the perceived adverse impact of rail reactivation (e.g., noise, safety) outweighs the benefits of eliminating some local area truck traffic by utilizing rail delivery. The economic development potential seems to be denied by nimbys, that being in character since they typically oppose industrial development in their extended backyards.

by rvrrhs

Ken W2KB wrote:>>>supposed to include customers between Roselle Park and Summit, not just act as a "diversion" for through-freight. <<<

I think you misunderstand Kean's remark. He means diversion of trucks from area roads, not diversion of railfreight from one line to another. His view, as expressed to him by nimby constituents, is that the perceived adverse impact of rail reactivation (e.g., noise, safety) outweighs the benefits of eliminating some local area truck traffic by utilizing rail delivery. The economic development potential seems to be denied by nimbys, that being in character since they typically oppose industrial development in their extended backyards.
Ken, I didn't misunderstand Kean's remark. I meant "diversion" in terms of diverting through-freight from trucks to trains.

As to the opposition of industrial development, most of the properties I refer to are already developed as industrial or commercial, and it just seems a natural market for rail service. The only plot I referred to that is not currently developed as either industrial or commercial is the concrete-slab "brownfield" on Springfield Rd. N. near Iorio St. in Union. And if I understand correctly, that property is unlikely to become anything other than industrial or commercial--and there are no residential neighbors within several blocks for whom that property could cause any additionl impact if the RV is up and running.

by Ken W2KB

Thanks for the explanation and additional info, Alan. Hope this project does well, it might then be a model for other counties.

by ChooChooHead2

Still nothing new at Cranford Jct. The crews haven't been there in 2 weeks now, so I guess all that's left to do is wait for the bridge over the NEC to be shored up, and wait for NJDOT to install new signals and gates at all the level crossings. Who knows how long that's going to take.

With any luck, trains will be rolling through town by spring.

by njtmnrrbuff

How often will trains run on the line. I do plan to take pictures along that line.

by CNJFAN

I heard that it is going to be 2 trains per day, one in each direction.
One to Manville then back, if you are referring to the SIRR.