Railroad Forums 

• M&E 18 in Summit @ 11am 1/23/09

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#628515  by zlakel

While I was waiting for NJ Transit at Summit today, Morristown and Erie engine number 18 came through around 11am on the center track heading east, short hood forward. I've not posted here before but wanted to find out if anyone knew why a M&E engine was running through Summit since I didn't think the M&E had any operations east of Summit.

Zach
 #628518  by Tri-State Tom

No problem Zach.

The M&E regularly goes down to the Meadows/MMC to deliver/pick-up PV's and/or do an engine change for it's Bayway work. Also, I think they still occasionally interchange tank cars with CSX on some siding ( temp brain-lock on the name ) near the MMC.
 #628820  by Jtgshu

they came down to the MMC today to pick up a private car - the Katchi Gammi Club maybe? They also had a boxcar with them as well when tehy were at the MMC, i dunno where they picked that up from though.
 #629212  by RS115

J - they came down on Saturday or Friday? Unusual for them to be moving on a Saturday this time of year. Friday from my office I saw them go towards Morristown shoving PV "Garden State" but don't know where they went with it. It was for sale at one point so perhaps it has sold and was being taken to interchange or to be prepped for same. Driving into the city yesterday I noticed a cut of several tank cars on the Center Street branch lead where I believe they do their CSX interchange so maybe another trip on Monday.
 #629473  by Jtgshu

RS115 wrote:J - they came down on Saturday or Friday? Unusual for them to be moving on a Saturday this time of year. Friday from my office I saw them go towards Morristown shoving PV "Garden State" but don't know where they went with it. It was for sale at one point so perhaps it has sold and was being taken to interchange or to be prepped for same. Driving into the city yesterday I noticed a cut of several tank cars on the Center Street branch lead where I believe they do their CSX interchange so maybe another trip on Monday.
RS, it was Friday, I didn't realize how late it was when I posted that :) They were there about Friday around Noon or so
 #629689  by blockline4180

Interesting!

Perhaps the blue CSX box car is destined for a new customer somehere on the Whippany line?? Anyone know if it was a reefer?