Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2009

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#687991  by Tri-State Tom

Nice little start to the week in Morristown this morning at around 8:15....

First, #18 fired-up out of the yard and then went up around the hill. She was quickly followed by #19 up the hill as well. Presume one was heading East and one West on the Morristown line.

BTW, #19's roof needs a cleaning or re-painting....it's a rusty color.
 #688229  by Btkspot89

I know 18 or 19 or both them went up to West Boonton Yard. The ME leased URHS coach 334 (the unpainted one which was not used in the recent movie) I know they plan on restoring it and make it look nice. And the coach should be sitting in front of the engine house.
 #688375  by thebigham

I have a few pictures from Sunday that I need to post.

#18 and #19 were in front of the enginehouse.

#487 was next to the enclosed shop building.

#22, #42??, #3562 and #557 were stored on the Ridgedale siding.

Chris
 #690747  by Btkspot89

Anybody have any clue where 4216 came from? it is sitting outside the shops and I have no clue as to it's previous service and what the ME has planned for it.
 #690793  by blockline4180

Btkspot89 wrote:Anybody have any clue where 4216 came from? it is sitting outside the shops and I have no clue as to it's previous service and what the ME has planned for it.
Interesting I'll have to check down there tomorrow when I swing by to get the mail! I believe thats another one of the alcos.
 #691073  by Btkspot89

Interesting I hope it is at least running. It would be sad to see if the ME just puts it on the ridgedale run around. They have so many great pieces of equipment but use very little of it or maintain very little of it. But then again in today's economy being a shortline railroad must not be the easiest thing in the world to keep up.
 #691101  by RS115

4216 and 7215 have spent the last several months (since last fall some time actually) in the storage track at 'the junction' (named for when it was the junction with the original alignment of the Malapardis branch) by the Rt 287 overpass.

BTK - our nations largest railroads have modern power stored by the 100's of units. M&E keeps running what they need for their own purposes. The 'lease fleet' like 4216 4231 7215 aren't needed anywhere so why spend the money to keep them in service. They're shut down and drained and stored, some (according to other reports on these pages) needing various degrees of mechanical work. If a market or use for them materializes, they could be brought back to life fairly quickly. The other stuff, such as the rest of the FL-9's, who knows if they'll ever turn another wheel. There isn't a need nor, apparently, )since the one sold to the Florida folks is still up for re-sale), a market for them.
 #695837  by PVRX1

My 4216 Speculations:

Thought A: Going to Honesdale
Thought B: Going to Western NY & Pa
Thought C: Going somewhere else

I believe this one had derailment damage, and maybe wheel isues, from its lease to Tropicana. I don't recall any mechanical issues off the top of my head.

Sandy will jump in shortly :>)
 #696845  by Sandy Burton

My speculation is slightly different and I emphasis the word speculation....

A. Honsdale - I agree with Jim that this seems the most logical at this point if they get some traffic on that line
B. Maine Eastern - a back-up engine is needed there since 4228 went to the WNY&P

At this point I don't see it going to the WNY&P, but who knows with these interlocking directorates.

Before it goes anywhere they will have to fix the damage done at Tropicana.

Sandy, belatedly jumping in
 #701818  by jhdeasy

Private cars KITCHI GAMMI CLUB and MOUNT VERNON should be moving from Morristown to the MMC (and then on to Hudson and Sunnyside Yard) on Wednesday August 5th as they will traveling on Amtrak 51, The Cardinal, on Friday August 7th on their way to Chicago and then on to Minneapolis - St Paul for the NRHS convention at Duluth.

They will be back at Penn Station / Sunnyside Yard on Thursday August 20th, so may move back to Morristown on Friday August 21st.