Railroad Forums 

• Whippany -South Jefferson Road team track project

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#677620  by RS115

After months of inactivity, the RR Construction folks were back at South Jefferson Road this morning using both the equipment stored there and apparently something new as a large semi-flatbed was leaving as I passed headed to work. I'll hopefully have time for a better look tomorrow as I had to leave early today and head out. They had people working on both sides of S. Jefferson - at the loading dock area and across the way where they're putting in a road of sorts towards the former paper mill site. Could eventually be right of way I suppose but right now it's got a couple of twists in it.
 #678423  by roachcoach1186

The Rails have been removed from the siding and all thats left is a few rail road ties. I guess they're retracking it to get it closer to the platform

The old road that lead to Eden Mill has been cleared out of brush sizably. Could we see 2 tracks crossing S. jefferson?!
 #678619  by blockline4180

roachcoach1186 wrote:The Rails have been removed from the siding and all thats left is a few rail road ties. I guess they're retracking it to get it closer to the platform

The old road that lead to Eden Mill has been cleared out of brush sizably. Could we see 2 tracks crossing S. jefferson?!

Perhaps, I don't know their plan, but there is another "new" customer who is looking at getting rail shipments just east of Jefferson Ave on the north side of the tracks.
 #685139  by RS115

Got to take a look at the work done here today. The track work looks complete. The run-around has been substantially rebuilt with new ties and ballast. The side track is all new from the the dirt up. The RRC crew was on site most of last week despite the rain ballasting and tamping. It looks like the entry area is staked out in preparation for stone and pavement to bring it up the height of the end of the concrete ramp. RRC equipment still on site and across the road where I assume they'll move to next.

There' s no sign of a scale at the team track site so I assume that's what's going across the way on what would be all new trackage.
 #685301  by blockline4180

RS115 wrote:Got to take a look at the work done here today. The track work looks complete. The run-around has been substantially rebuilt with new ties and ballast. The side track is all new from the the dirt up. The RRC crew was on site most of last week despite the rain ballasting and tamping. It looks like the entry area is staked out in preparation for stone and pavement to bring it up the height of the end of the concrete ramp. RRC equipment still on site and across the road where I assume they'll move to next.

There' s no sign of a scale at the team track site so I assume that's what's going across the way on what would be all new trackage.

Yes, I took a look last Wednesday as well.... The Railroad Construction Co. was busy working the run-around. Do we know if they will unload box cars at the platform or is this for covered hoppers??
 #710137  by RS115

Been meaning to update this for awhile. Work on the team track is essentially complete. Currently M&E has stored several of their ex-Amtrak Material Handling Cars here - some in the run around and some on the team track siding. Before they were placed there were some tanks in the run-around for a day or two. The area at the road end of the ramp has been paved following installation of the scale. It's a truck scale not a rail scale. Now all they need is some revenue customers to use it.

On the other side of S. Jefferson Road an assortment of RR Construction equipment still sits. Don't know if it's because they just don't need it anywhere else, there's something further going to happen over there or they're waiting for the approvals to start on the siding the new customer discussed in another thread.

Andy
 #728090  by Angus202

Several hundred feet of new track is being laid - new ties, plates, and some lightly used #112 rail. There is grading for the switch to come off the main just east of the old channel spur where they hide all those ex-amtrak baggage cars and runs all the way to Jefferson Rd. Not sure if they'll make this a runaround, the grading work thus far looks like a stub ended siding, though in that case it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an operational standpoint to have the switch facing west and necessitating two locos or a long shove back to the interchange. On another note, looks like the channel spur will be getting a few new ties on the tight curve it makes north from the main.
 #728092  by blockline4180

Angus202 wrote:Several hundred feet of new track is being laid - new ties, plates, and some lightly used #112 rail. There is grading for the switch to come off the main just east of the old channel spur where they hide all those ex-amtrak baggage cars and runs all the way to Jefferson Rd. Not sure if they'll make this a runaround, the grading work thus far looks like a stub ended siding, though in that case it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an operational standpoint to have the switch facing west and necessitating two locos or a long shove back to the interchange. On another note, looks like the channel spur will be getting a few new ties on the tight curve it makes north from the main.
Nice, I wonder if this "new" siding east of Jefferson Ave ties into the new E&S Food distribution facility that may end up getting rail service??
 #728207  by joe k

I would think if the switch is located near the old Channel siding (old Stony Brook Mill spur) this would save $$$ with by not locating a switch near Jefferson Rd and any needed signal improvements...........this new switch would be out of the "approach" to the Jefferson Road crossing.
 #728459  by Angus202

Exactly, if the siding is stub ended, with the switch only tied to the main east of the mill spur, it will not trigger the crossing circuit or require modification to the existing setup. The new frozen food distributor is located on the north side of the main, the new siding is on the south and opposite side of Jefferson Rd. E&S will likely be using the recently re-done Jefferson Rd. team track.
 #734337  by roachcoach1186

Contrary to previous posts, the siding now has a switch about 20 yards east of South Jefferson, completly the run-around.

I took a drive down Rosin Ave and the tracks go pretty far down. Its hard to tell exactly where the other switch is located to the main. It appears to be a longer siding that the one that runs from just west of 287 to a stub at Park Ave.
 #749142  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:Apparently someone is unloading railcars of military Humvees (HMMWV) at the Jefferson Team Track. Does anyone have any idea what the destination of the vehicles is?

No Semper, nobody seems to know...Even the Whippany Railway museum volunteers don't know!