Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2007

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#449837  by Sid Farkus

Thanks a lot. Now here's the big question why did Morristown & Erie get rid of all the new equipment? Also what will become of the F40PHs at GCLX? And what will happen to tthe Maine Eastern Diner, why was it sold?

#449940  by Sandy Burton

I am not sure what "new" equipment you are referring to. I don't think I would describe any of the equipment on the M&E as new.

If you are referring to the RS-11s that they scrapped, the answer is $$$$.

If you are referring to the 4264, this was an odd-ball on the roster and there was a need for it on the WNY&P. This was not really very new to the M&E and there was a surplus of power on the M&E. Again $$$$.

If you are referring to the 4223 and 4228, again not new and really surplus plus a need on the WNY&P. Short term lease again = $$$$.

Remember the men who run these railroads are in it to make money, not to satisfy the whims of us railfans who would like to see every possible locomotive saved. Also note that many of these locomotives are privately owned and are not owned directly by the M&E.

I don't think anyone knows the answer regarding the F40s. We will just have to wait and see. My guess, and I emphasize the word "guess", is that they won't be back in Morristown. They are real gas guzzles, well diesel fuel guzzlers.

Regarding the diner, my guess is they got an offer that they could not refuse, but I have no specific knowledge regarding its sale.

Sandy

#450086  by MEC407

I fully understand that the M420s are good locomotives, and that M&E has been using them in Maine for a while, and that M420s have a history of success on the Rockland Branch with past operators... but it was stated on here (in another thread) that M&E wanted to make the Maine operation "EMD only" in order to simplify parts inventory, repairs, etc. So I was just wondering if that plan has changed, or if it was nothing more than a rumor to begin with. I'm certainly not complaining about the M420s, or any other Alcos/MLWs for that matter! Bring 'em on.

(Although, if M&E is trying to make peace with the "locomotives are dirty and evil" crowd in Rockland, EMDs might be a better choice, simply because they appear, from a layman's visual point of view, to be less polluting than Alcos/MLWs/GEs.)

#450124  by Sandy Burton

You are correct that the plan was to make Maine all EMD. At least that was my understanding. I am not sure if that has changed, but there certainly does not appear to be any urgency to implement that plan. The 22 was supposed to be converted back to a true Geep and then be moved to Maine, but that has gone no where fast. It has been shrink-wrapped and stored for some months now.

Sandy

#450225  by Sid Farkus

"New" meaning what has not been there as long as others. I should have said newly acquired. What is used now as a diner in Maine? Also how owns Morristown & Erie's engines, RRPX?

#450482  by PVRX1

Morristown & Erie Locomotives are owned by the Morristown & Erie or by Railroad Power Inc. (RRPX). RRPX is essentially owned by the same poeple as the M&E, so it is an affiliate / sister kind of company.

RRPX has its own website with info fyi.

#450488  by MEC407

PVRX1 wrote:RRPX has its own website with info fyi.
http://rrpx.com/

#450682  by Sid Farkus

Yeah I knew ME and RRPX had a conection, but am still confised. Where is RRPX based out of? And how come those ex Cartier engines never appeared on the ME is both companies work with eachother?

#450795  by thebigham

Susquehaniewikiwokiwani wrote:Yeah I knew ME and RRPX had a conection, but am still confised. Where is RRPX based out of? And how come those ex Cartier engines never appeared on the ME is both companies work with eachother?
RRPX is based out of Morristown, just like the M&E.

It's obvious the M&E freight business does not require monstrous 6-axle MLW/Alco locomotives. They can make money leasing the locomotives or selling them.

#450961  by Sid Farkus

I see. Why where the ex Cartiers kept far away in NY???

#451020  by Nova55

They had to prep them for when Squeek got them.

#451140  by Sid Farkus

Arren't some of them still sitting in NY?

#451687  by Btkspot89

another random update 18 eastbound yesterday around 2:30pm, that reminds me which locomotives belong specifically to the M&E and which belong to the RRPX? I under stand that they are pretty much both the same company though ..just want to clarify that for my self :-)

#451867  by PVRX1

Click on the Railroad Power Leasing website link above and ye shall answer thou own question.