Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2006

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

hi

#321252  by thebigham

denvillerailfan wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Caught M&E 18 heading west through Dover this morning with what looked like a string of ex-Erie mining RS-11's?? I'm assuming they are going to storage at Lake Junction or to scrap..
You beat me to it!

Caught them through Mt Tabor Station @ 8:3x...

http://denvillerailfan.rrpicturearchive ... 11/17/2006

I thought the 4240 was long gone.

Almost like a through freight. ;-)
Thanks for the pics!

Did you get the numbers of the Alcos?

Thanks!

Chris

#321271  by 2spot

Werent the 4240 and 4223(?) sold to the A&M? The 4240 looks OOS, is it in transit?
Last edited by 2spot on Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #321272  by denvillerailfan

thebigham wrote:Did you get the numbers of the Alcos?
nope... missed 'em. figured I could get them from the pics, but you can see I didn't.
:-(

I was to shocked to see them all in the first place... I had only stopped to see the F40 pass through - what a surprise!
Last edited by denvillerailfan on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#321274  by Alcoman

2spot wrote:Werent the 4242 and 4224(?) sold to the A&M? The 4242 looks OOS, is it in transit?
Those 2 C424's were never owned by the M&E. The LNA&C owned them
John

#321287  by 2spot

Hi John. I know they were offered for sale by the LNAC, were they stored on the M&E? That I dont know, I assumed they were on the LNAC. While I have you, what are the dispositions of the other offerings from LNAC?

#321296  by Alcoman

As far as I know, the LNAC bought those C424's directly from the QC in Canada.
The RS-11 is the only locomotive still for sale. The RS-36 is being kept by the LNAC and C420 was purchased by the broker. I don't know what the brokers plans for the C420 are.
John

#321427  by denvillerailfan

denvillerailfan wrote:
thebigham wrote:Did you get the numbers of the Alcos?
nope... missed 'em. figured I could get them from the pics,...
I was mistaken-
The second RS11 ended in "07"... hope that helps...
Not sure on the first '11, but one pic looks like it has an "8" could be a "3".

#321469  by RS115

My guess is with the anticipated move of the URHS equipment from the DL&W Morristown yard up to Boonton, M&E is also clearing out the stuff they've been storing over there. The 4240 spent a couple of years sitting on the old interchange tracks in Morristown before disappearing. It's been a parts donor for the other C-424's and it seems unlikely to me that it will ever run again. The RS-11's have been pulled down at times for either evaluation of 'donation' of parts to other units.

I'm guessing they took it all west and shoved it up into Lake Junction yard with the rest of the Erie Mining stuff and the M-420.

A

#321476  by 2spot

The 4240 was sold directly to the M&E. The 4223 sold to Quebec Gatineau Railway: source: MountainRailway.com . When did LNAC acquire them and why not take delivery?

#321478  by Alcoman

Ok, Now I had my numbers wrong. Rechecked: QC sold LNAC # 4222 and 4242.

#321547  by 2spot

Thats funny, Alcoman. Those were the numbers I edited out of my earlier post.
I suppose a better question is what are they doing with that C-424M? More storage or worse?

#321561  by Alcoman

Two 2 Alcos are now on the A&M.

#322986  by RS115

Whippany line more active today than it has been lately. 18 and the hack went east a little before 9 returning later with one of the brightly painted ex-'Royal Rail' cars though I couldn't tell which one (though I don't think it was the obs). Went up to Morristown at lunch time and they had it spotted on track 4. 18 was on 3, the 563 on two running and the 557 (the other ex-Amtrak switcher) outside prepped for paint (as she has been for awhile) but with part of the hood removed as well. The crane was up front as well so I guess they either had or were preparing to drop/pull something in or out. I couldn't hang around to see.

Later in the day 18 went east again light and then returned, I think, light again. I wasn't in the best position to see the return move so couldn't be sure.

#323162  by PVRX1

4222 & 4242 went to the LNAC not to the M&E.

4223 & 4228 went to the M&E via Delaware Lackawanna. Not sure if GVT bought them or if they were leased to them from the M&E sister company RRPX.

4216, 4231, 4240 also went to the M&E. 4240 had been designated an organ donor pretty much when it arrived, and never operated on line.

4212 and 42?1 went to the Buffalo Southern Railroad.