Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2006

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#288278  by RS115

Got out at lunch time today in time to see RS-1 #21 back in service. They were at the South Jefferson Road run-around dropping off the ex-Metro North FL-9 for storage. They then headed east to Whippany with the ex-Southern diner 'Epicurius'(sp?) in tow. The brakes may work but the prime mover is still in need of serious attention. LOTS of smoke on acceleration and it's not just typical ALCO smoke - the color and smell are wrong.

At Morristown shops the road crane is positioned across tracks 3 & 4 near the house and had either recently lifted out or was waiting to lift in two power assemblies - not sure from/for what. 4223 was in the house.

A

#288344  by PVRX1

I haven't owned the 21 for a few years now, but she used to only smoke when started, after sitting. When started regularly it was fine. Sounds like something not right.
Sorry I sold it, would buy it back if available within reason.

#290659  by blockline4180

M&E 20 (SW1500) has been sitting at Chester Junction since last Thursday or Friday. I believe it was still there this morning.

#291391  by jhdeasy

RS115 wrote: They then headed east to Whippany with the ex-Southern diner 'Epicurius'(sp?) in tow.
Private car EPICURUS is the former ATSF 1572, a lunch counter diner built by Pullman Standard in 1950.

hi

#301530  by thebigham

Any news?

Any word on the RS11s?

Chris
 #301552  by blockline4180

thebigham wrote:Any news?

Any word on the RS11s?

Chris
I have no idea. M&E keeps everything secretive, although Gordon and Wes look at this forum from time to time. They don't like foamers, like myself to spill the beans on anything.

#304492  by Tri-State Tom

GP9 #22 FINALLY had it's new EMD prime mover installed this morning by crane....

#304499  by blockline4180

Tri-State Tom wrote:GP9 #22 FINALLY had it's new EMD prime mover installed this morning by crane....
Tom,

Thanks for the report! Glad someone woke up this forum! How many days was it without a post??
 #304679  by Sandy Burton

After they gave #22 a 567 prime mover, they pulled the prime mover from #2029 and put it on the flat car where the 567 has resided for these many months. The generator from #2029 was lifted yesterday. Can scrapping be far behind?

Sandy

#304685  by Rail Liner

A few weeks ago I saw #22 sitting atop the junk pile and it looked like they were taking it appart. So it must have been them replacing the generator.

#305307  by Sandy Burton

Actually the long hood of 22 has been sitting "on the junk pile" for several months since they removed the Sulzer prime mover. The M&E probably would take exception to your description of the usable parts, mostly trucks and wheel sets, stored on the wall.

Sandy

#305342  by mountie17

Rail Liner wrote:A few weeks ago I saw #22 sitting atop the junk pile and it looked like they were taking it appart. So it must have been them replacing the generator.
Generally junk doesn't have tarps placed over it.
http://mountie17.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=322082

hi

#312468  by thebigham

Why were the NS units there?

Any photos of the stored Alcos online?

Thanks,

Chris

#321185  by blockline4180

Caught M&E 18 heading west through Dover this morning with what looked like a string of ex-Erie mining RS-11's?? I'm assuming they are going to storage at Lake Junction or to scrap..

#321226  by denvillerailfan

blockline4180 wrote:Caught M&E 18 heading west through Dover this morning with what looked like a string of ex-Erie mining RS-11's?? I'm assuming they are going to storage at Lake Junction or to scrap..
You beat me to it!

Caught them through Mt Tabor Station @ 8:3x...

http://denvillerailfan.rrpicturearchive ... 11/17/2006

I thought the 4240 was long gone.

Almost like a through freight. ;-)