Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2006

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#213594  by GOLDEN-ARM

njt4172 wrote:Al was right! Here is the link....
Al is ALWAYS right................ :wink: :wink:

#213678  by Steve F45

so what will happen to the main and eastern loco's when MN doesn't need them anymore?

#213939  by Tri-State Tom

dub -

Well, MN is leasing them from the M&E. Usually, at the end of a lease, the leasee returns the equipment to the leasor, no ?

Was this a trick question ?

#214076  by Steve F45

Now that i've read my own question, i should've worded it better.

What i meant to ask was, if MN is repainting them MN colors, will MN re repaint them back to main and eastern colors? If it was just a short term "Rental" why not just leave them Main and eastern?

#214111  by Tri-State Tom

dub -

I'm guessing the lease is month-to-month or 6 months renewable.

MN has a good paint shop crew....they painted the URHS F7A's into the Lehigh Valley scheme as a proviso of MN's leasing those units for a year or so. That saved URHS about $20-25,000.

The M&E may incorporate a similar proviso in their leasing arrangement with MN. I don't recall if the M&E used Imron, Centari or just a less costly industrial grade enamel in repainting the F40's into the sharp Maine Eastern livery 2 years ago. My guess would be the enamel. I'm also guessing the MN 3-color scheme will be applied in the enamel. Whether the F40'S are destined to return to Maine is unclear. As such, the M&E may have a quasi new M&E 'EXECUTIVE RED' scheme in mind for them. If so, I would think a more permanent sand-prime-finish process using Centari might be requested of MN prior to their return.

#214151  by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:dub -

I'm guessing the lease is month-to-month or 6 months renewable.

MN has a good paint shop crew....they painted the URHS F7A's into the Lehigh Valley scheme as a proviso of MN's leasing those units for a year or so. That saved URHS about $20-25,000.

The M&E may incorporate a similar proviso in their leasing arrangement with MN. I don't recall if the M&E used Imron, Centari or just a less costly industrial grade enamel in repainting the F40's into the sharp Maine Eastern livery 2 years ago. My guess would be the enamel. I'm also guessing the MN 3-color scheme will be applied in the enamel. Whether the F40'S are destined to return to Maine is unclear. As such, the M&E may have a quasi new M&E 'EXECUTIVE RED' scheme in mind for them. If so, I would think a more permanent sand-prime-finish process using Centari might be requested of MN prior to their return.

Tom,

You seem pretty educated on the methods on how railroads paint locomotives... Were you once involved in the repainting process at M&E? I know you were actively involved in Tri-State at one time...

Steve
 #214153  by Sandy Burton

I think it is way too early to speculate on what might be the next paint scheme for the F40s. It certainly is not going to be decided now. Let's wait and see what is going on with the M&E when the F40s come back. I would think that business conditions at the time they are returned will dictate what their next set of colors will be.

Sandy

#214187  by Tri-State Tom

Steve -

Became friends with Tom Martin many years ago and watched him ( from a safe distance ) paint various pieces of M&E equipment and worked with him as part of the TSRHS crew that restored/painted the ex-Lackawanna baggage cars.

Was also heavily envolved with TSRHS's repainting of ex-Lackawanna caboose #896 several years ago....

Got a force-fed education.

#214245  by Steve F45

This may sound stupid, but why not save a alot of $$$$$ and use those full sticker wraps to cover the train if at the end of the lease your going to return the train to the way it was delivered before paint?

#215588  by Tri-State Tom

From poster 'General' tonight over on the New Jersey site....

" Kind of a late heads up due to this site being down last night. The NS H02 delivered GP38-2 PRR 5355 in NS horsehead paint to the M&E last night. The engine was waybilled as a leasor to the M&E Railway from Pennsylvania Lines LLC. "

Any guesses on this ?

#216001  by General

Tri-State Tom wrote:From poster 'General' tonight over on the New Jersey site....

" Kind of a late heads up due to this site being down last night. The NS H02 delivered GP38-2 PRR 5355 in NS horsehead paint to the M&E last night. The engine was waybilled as a leasor to the M&E Railway from Pennsylvania Lines LLC. "

Any guesses on this ?
Answer:
A large increase in inbound M&E traffic.

#216024  by Al Holleuffer

Thanks for the vote of confidence Golden Arm but I'm not always right. I do, however, try to verify things I hear in passing before posting them or passing information along.

Increasaed traffic was not the reason they borrowed NS 5355 unfortunately. The crew suffered a derailment on the Chester Branch Wednesday hauling on of the biggest cuts of cars they've had in a long time and trapped both 18 and 20. They used the 5355 to retrieve sleeper MOUNT VERNON from the MMC Thursday as it had returned from a recent move on Amtrak. I passed them on 854 east of Summit. As posted on the New Jersey Forum 5355 towed 18, 20 and three cars back to Morristown late this afternoon.

#223294  by Tri-State Tom

Maine Eastern F40 #265 got a vigorous static work-out in Morristown this afternoon for an inspector from MetroNorth. Quite a show with the unit being revved-up from idle to full throttle several times over 30 minutes or so. She seemed to be smokin' quite a bit out the exhaust at first but settled down by the end of the session.

#224505  by njt4172

Caught M&E 18 running lite westbound past Mount Tabor this morning at approx. 8:45! He is probably going to switch the Chester or High Bridge Branches...