Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2005

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#195785  by RS115

The military critter was moved from Whippany to Morristown today - I saw it go west over S. Jefferson road. Putting it inside for the winter? Didn't make it to Morristown to see where it ended up.

#196410  by gravelyfan

Ken S. wrote: NJT 4137 is a GP40FH-2 like the one in my avatar. It is assigned to haul AquaTrack.
Ken,
I can't be sure as the photo is kind of dark, but I think the unit in the Avatar you use is an F40, not a GP 40FH.

#196553  by Al Holleuffer

I bumped int M&E CMO Chuck Jensen a couple of days ago and he confirmed several rumors/reports floating around. Both Maine Eastern F40's have been leased to Metro-North for a two-year period for use in ther NJT Hoboken pool. 265 was delivered to NJT last week and is sitting at the MMC by the tower. the second F40 will follow shortly. He also informed me that what many fans suspected is coming to pass. The Alcos will be phased out in the near future as is evidenced by M&E's recent purchase of two EMD units from Amtrak. He said the switcher will probably go to Bayway.

Rumors/reports of a second passenger operation in Maine are not true, though, he said.

#196579  by njt4172

Al Holleuffer wrote:I bumped int M&E CMO Chuck Jensen a couple of days ago and he confirmed several rumors/reports floating around. Both Maine Eastern F40's have been leased to Metro-North for a two-year period for use in ther NJT Hoboken pool. 265 was delivered to NJT last week and is sitting at the MMC by the tower. the second F40 will follow shortly. He also informed me that what many fans suspected is coming to pass. The Alcos will be phased out in the near future as is evidenced by M&E's recent purchase of two EMD units from Amtrak. He said the switcher will probably go to Bayway.

Rumors/reports of a second passenger operation in Maine are not true, though, he said.

Al,

Some good news and bad news there.... I hope the alco's being phased out will not happen for a few years.. :( I mean they still have more then a handful in service....But it is upsetting news to me though......Maybe NYSW could purchase some???? How about the 21 RS-1?? Is that owned by Whippany Railway Museum???

In reference to the Maint Eastern engines, will they still run in Maine Eastern paint or is Metro-North going to repaint them??? Seems too good to be true to run them in Maine Eastern......

Thanks,
Steve

#196610  by Sirsonic

The M&E people have been stating this (MN will lease the F40's) for months, and all the while MN is saying no. Someone is being dishonest.

#196635  by RS115

Yes, but if there has been delivery of one of the units that would lend it some credibility - not to mention the source of the information in this instance.

#196656  by DutchRailnut

The CMO of MNCR stated they are not renting M&E units.
and why would they ?? only one MNCR units will be out to Altoona at any time for rebuilt and meanwile NJT has surplus units due to influx of PL42ac's , these surplus GP40's that can be provided as pool power to MNCR. MNCR lets NJT use their locomotives when they were surplus.

#196658  by Alcoman

Al Holleuffer wrote:I bumped int M&E CMO Chuck Jensen a couple of days ago and he confirmed several rumors/reports floating around. Both Maine Eastern F40's have been leased to Metro-North for a two-year period for use in ther NJT Hoboken pool. 265 was delivered to NJT last week and is sitting at the MMC by the tower. the second F40 will follow shortly. He also informed me that what many fans suspected is coming to pass. The Alcos will be phased out in the near future as is evidenced by M&E's recent purchase of two EMD units from Amtrak. He said the switcher will probably go to Bayway.

Why are the Alcos suddenly being phased out???

#196747  by wesley weis

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to the imagined demise of ALCOs on the M&E. I can state for the record that ALCOs WILL BE RUNNING on the M&E for many years to come. The Ex-Amtrak GP-9 is going to Maine to replace the leased GP-15 unit #1501. All other power will be used where and when it is needed. The two ALCOs now in Maine will be brought back to Morristown when another suitable EMD unit can be made ready and delivered to Maine. It is not a case of dependability with the ALCOS. It was a management decision regarding the cost of storing spare parts used in normal maintenance and 92 day inspections such as filters, brushes, brake valves, brake shoes, etc. for two different brands of equipment.

The M&E has a long history with ALCOs, and it is not about to end anytime in the near future.

Wesley R. Weis,

President & CEO

Morristown & Erie Railway & Maine Eastern Railroad

#196752  by Alcoman

Thank you Wesley for getting that rumor put to rest.
John

#196807  by njt4172

Alcoman wrote:Thank you Wesley for getting that rumor put to rest.
John

Wes,

Thank You! Nice to hear good FACTUAL news from the president himself........

#196839  by Sirsonic

While one of the Maine Eastern F40's is sitting in the MMC, it is dead and hasn't moved since it arrived. Its presence is no indication of any future use it may or may not have. The MassCentral engine sat in the MMC for many months and nobody had leased it...

Ill believe it when I see it published in the bulletin order that NJT or MN has leased these locomotives for absolutely no reason.

#196938  by Lackawanna484

Maybe it's just me, but I'm uneasy about semi-public discussions like this.

I'm sure conversations among senior people go on all the time which wouldn't be negotiations, but more, "would you be interested..." followed by "we could be, what kind of a price are you thinking about..."

Yes, there's an interest among railbuffs about where this unit or that obs is going, but there are hard dollars to the people and companies involved. I appreciate that M&E is open and communicative, but these engines are inventory, to be used, leased, sold, etc as necessary.

Just my humble opinion

#196944  by The Rising

Hello all,

I agree with you Lackawanna484. There are reasons however that Mr. Weis felt compelled to make a statement to clarify the rumors circulating on this board. As you know, my beloved M&E watches what's posted here.

Remember, a direct quote was posted indicating a high ranking official of the M&E (in this case, Chuck Jenson) stated that locomotives were on their way to being phased out. Do you realize that one comment, such as that, could (did?) flood the M&E switch board with phone calls from every other railroad CMO looking into the availablitity of parts or whole locomotives. I'm sure Mr. Weis wouldn't appreciate fielding 30+ phone calls from people asking if the units were for sale when they were not.

As one who has posted direct quotes from others here at Railroad.net in the past, it has always been my policy to ask someone if I can quote them first. I speak directly with RR people all the time. If they say "don't quote me on that", it means, don't quote them. Rumors are just that, rumors, until you make it a direct quote. To all that would do so, remember to always ask your source first. It avoids causing great confusion, and, it might just get your source fired if he or she wasn't supposed to have revealed that publicly.

Well, I'll step off my soapbox for now,

See ya all later.