Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2005

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#109487  by RS115

Saw one tonight that I can't explain. After seeing 4223 tow 489 to Whippany at lunch time I drove up to Morristown after work. No one around (about 6:15) but sitting up on the old interchange tracks: 4223-4231-18. All were running - markerson on the end units no on aboard. Checked back about 7:30 still there.

What might they be going to pull that would require 3 units?
Why be sitting up on top of the hill if they weren't going to do something fairly soon?

While I didn't get close enough to check each one nothing appeared derailed and even if that were the case this would be a highly unusual lashup in any case.

Other thing of note was a Comet V down in the hollow alongside the green extension. Couldn't see if it was a cab car or a coach.

Any ideas or sightings of the consist rolling somewhere?

#109852  by Sandy Burton

4223 and 4231 are on their way to Bayway to replace 7215 and 4264.

Comet V cars are on the property for warranty work by Alsthom who is renting space in the M&E shop.

Sandy

#110142  by RS115

Thanks Sandy - interesting this will be the first trip home to Motown for the C425 in ages - hope they use her some. Last time she pretty much sat around Morristown doing little to nothing other than when positioned on the east end to serve industries during one of the early track severages.

What's going on with 20 -haven't seen it out of the shop in several weeks - any idea?

#110330  by njt4172

The SW1500 #20 was a nice little engine......He use to work out of Morristown all the time during the late 1990's....I kinda miss him......

Steve

#110553  by Al Holleuffer

M&E 20 is out of service awaiting wheel replacement.

#110622  by RS115

Thanks Al!

Another question which I think was discussed on the pre-crash boards but I don't recall the answer: Why when they swap locos at Bayway is it now a long 'ship it' process (via a pretty round and about route if memory serves)? They used to run them down, do the swap and back the same day. Is this way cheaper - no pilot/crew costs - or did something change in trackage/operating agreements negating the old way of doing things?

Is 19 back at Tropicana with 4216? Months ago there was talk that CSA was using her for awhile and nothing since.

#110976  by metman499

I believe the swap now goes via Allentown Yard.

#114723  by RS115

The FL-9 repaint project is under way. Today at lunch time 489 was towed back to Morristown from Whippany - in primer with windows covered - check later shows it shoved into the house for the night. 488 is also in Morristown looks like being prepped for priming. Maine Eastern coach also in Morristown for work. Others stored at the junction.

2-3 CV coaches and 1 cab car being workedon by Alstrom.

Still no sign of 7215 and the C-425.

#114867  by njt4172

So if the FL-9's are going to go up to Maine, then I am assuming they will be painted into the Eastern Maine paint scheme that the F40's are currently in?? Will the F40's that are returning be painted back into an M&E style paint scheme??

#124100  by RS115

Quick trip to Morristown at lunch time revealed:
20 apparently back in service running on Track 1, stacks have been fitted with a new type of spark arrestor or muffler. Only heard it at idle but definately sounds different.
The 'critter' was outside parked in front of one of the NJT coaches awaiting attention from Alstrom - definately be an interesting picture (sorry no functional camera at present)
488 or 489 was sitting up on the old interchange tracks in primer and masked - couldn't see if they've started applying real paint to the nose.
The F-40's remain on the run-around by Ridgedale - couldn't see what was there with the due to traffic.
Haven't seen the M-420 either - anyone know if they're storing it at Lake Junction?

#124201  by Angus202

the M420 (forget its # off the top of my head) has been sitting at the end of the lake jct. team track since its return to NJ, as of tuesday, M&E #4 has been coupled up to it.

-Ryan

#124270  by njt4172

RS115 wrote:Quick trip to Morristown at lunch time revealed:
20 apparently back in service running on Track 1, stacks have been fitted with a new type of spark arrestor or muffler. Only heard it at idle but definately sounds different.
The 'critter' was outside parked in front of one of the NJT coaches awaiting attention from Alstrom - definately be an interesting picture (sorry no functional camera at present)
488 or 489 was sitting up on the old interchange tracks in primer and masked - couldn't see if they've started applying real paint to the nose.
The F-40's remain on the run-around by Ridgedale - couldn't see what was there with the due to traffic.
Haven't seen the M-420 either - anyone know if they're storing it at Lake Junction?

YUP, saw something today I haven't seen in several years! On my way to work along Franklin Ave in Denville I happened to luckily catch the #20 going west with 3 tankers and 1 box car(refeer?). First time i seen the 20 work out of Morristown in at least 3 years.....

Steve

#128735  by Lackawanna484

I noticed the RS-1 has had its Pook Valley name painted out. It's been sitting in Whippany for a few weeks, but I hadn't noticed the name was removed before.

#128803  by PVRX1

It was off when it was stationed out at Roseland during the bridge work.