Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2004

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#38539  by Jihn z

It's actually #20, and the only reason I would think it went to Bayway was beause of its small size, great for switching. But before last year, it would go out almost everyday to the D&R or Highbridge because of it's cab signals. 18 does all that work now, being the only engine (besides the FL-9s) with cab siginals.

#43063  by nolifeCRchaser

Two of my coworkers spotted M&E #19 coupled to a CSX GP-38-2 at CP Croxton with a handful of cars. Both engines were long hood forward. One of the two guys snapped a few shots of it, probably for Railpace. Any idea on why it is working on a Conrail Shared Assets local? Also, while working yesterday I saw an M&E alco with a coach car at the NJT MMC. I had just noticed it as we were running past it on the westbound and I did not get a chance to snap a pic of it. It may have been #18 or 19, but it was one of the C-424's.

#43117  by RS115

NoLife - #19 was probably in transit back to Morristown having been replaced at Tropicana by 7215. The other move was likely #18 delivering or picking up one of the private cars to Amtrak or maybe MMC was doing some contract work on it.

#43180  by Jtgshu

There was like 10 or 12 freight cars on the center st. branch yesterday afternoon in harrison, along with a CR and M and E engine, I didn't get chance to get the numbers. I found it odd, becuase there its rare to see any freight cars on the center st. branch and an M and E engine to boot!

#43200  by nolifeCRchaser

It could have been in transit back to Morristown. It was just odd to see it where it was spotted. The #19 appeared to be in local service rather than being a transfer engine. Also, the train with this M&E alco was stopped at the signal heading north on the Northern Branch rather than south or west towards Oak Island or Morristown. From waht I heard the engine was on line and blew out a lot of smoke when the Shared Assets train got the signal.
The Conrail engines on the Center St branch in Harrison was the NS H84. They were working at J Supor.

#43211  by wolfboy8171981

From what i could find on the NS computer system the BA-2 must have picked it up in Greenville and brought it to South Kearny, or Bayonne where the SK-3 picked it up and brought it to the Center St Branch.

I guess with the recent routing of M&E 7215 the sweetheart deal of make light engine moves with M&E/CR crews is over.

Wolf

#43256  by njt4172

nolifeCRchaser wrote:It could have been in transit back to Morristown. It was just odd to see it where it was spotted. The #19 appeared to be in local service rather than being a transfer engine. Also, the train with this M&E alco was stopped at the signal heading north on the Northern Branch rather than south or west towards Oak Island or Morristown. From waht I heard the engine was on line and blew out a lot of smoke when the Shared Assets train got the signal.
The Conrail engines on the Center St branch in Harrison was the NS H84. They were working at J Supor.
Wow, that many freight cars?? Is J Supor a big customer or were some of those cars dropped off for the M&E???

Thanks,
Steve

#43258  by njt4172

One more question? Is H84 based out of Croxton or Oak Island??? What is the quickest way to get from Croxton to Kearny???

Thanks,
Steve

#43264  by metman499

Supor can be a pretty big customer but does slow down from time to time. The most cars they have gotten in one day is 12, all EJ&E coil steel cars. If you have a place to host an image I can get you one. They are generally all unloaded by the next time 84 comes by. 84 is out of Croxton.

#43283  by nolifeCRchaser

Another M&E question...does any one have a pic of the ex-Amtrak F-40's that the M&E had at Morristown? I heard they were repainted and sent to Maine. I did not get a chance to see the new paint job or the engine move.

Venturing of topic.. There is a Center St Branch topic in the NJ railfan forum and yes, unfortunately the H84 does originate out of Croxton. I saw the H84 when they had their 12 unit coil car train. The M&E does not interchange with Croxton crews. All NS/M&E interchange is done by the Dover crew H02 at either the junction or the M&E shop in Morristown.

#43446  by Angus202

I used to catch the NS HO-3 nighttime local using the 18 as primary unit or the 19 coupled up to a geep on several occasions, crew said when their engine went down or they needed more power, its much easier to borrow a loco from them rather than get another unit from allentown; but the 19 so far away as the northern branch, I'd pay $ to see and photo that one.

-Ryan

#43481  by PVRX

RS11 7216 is down to a frame, trucks, fuel tank, cab (windowless, etc). Some of its body parts are in a gondola behind it. Looks to a finale for it, being parted out.

4223 changed tracks too!
 #47986  by ironhorse

If memory serves me correct, the wheels on 7216 were new. That is why they and the rest of the parts were taken for transplant fodder.

I was lucky to see these after they were pulled from storage in Proctor, MN while on temp assignment. I love these old Alcos.

On a side note, 4228 is helping out on the new Maine Eastern operation along with the 2 F40's doing passenger duty. Isn't she a beauty? There is a limited production of MLW body style C424 from Canada using Atlas running gear in HO scale. I have one on reservation so I can make a model of this unit. I even found most of the decals needed.

Vince :)

#64383  by RS115

Quick update on activities at Morristown over the last week or so:
Tracks 4 & 5 in the shop area have been paved following a thorough rebuilding with a driveway over to them across the other 3 tracks from the newly paved parking lot. The old section house (last of those built from old wooden M&E 1930's box cars I believe) and the trees at the entrance were removed in preparation for this and there is an office trailer parked in the lot as yet unused. What will be happening over here is unknown.

C-424 #18 is, as usual, the workhorse handling the western lines and interchange daily. C-424 #4223 seems to have overcome whatever kept it in the shop area for month and now ventures down the Whippany line as needed. The ex-military critter is in shop area in primer. RS-11's 7207 outside on track 1 with 7208 inside on track 1. RS-1 21 is back in the shop area after spending the summer servicing B&G while the bridges were out. SW1500 #20 is alongside the shops sometimes running/being worked on. Appears to either have new horns or horns have been painted a very bright yellow. Shop forces continue working on various pieces of passenger equipment with round end obs 'Royal Palace' entering the shop this week.

Question - if 7215 has moved from Tropicana to Bayway as reported in Railpace is #19 now back at Tropicana with 4216? Anyone know if 7215's short stay at Tropicana was planned or did she prove unsuitable? Will 20 return to Bayway or destined for the reactived SIRR portion of the RVRR?