Railroad Forums 

• good times to fan the M&E?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#506069  by Steve F45

Started to think why not try out this line. But beeing im not from that area figured i'de ask. (I did search) Are there any specific times of the day or days of the week that are good for catching any m&e action? Also any particular spots that would be good for viewing/pic taking?

#506396  by Btkspot89

Its always hard to find out where they go. Somedays they will head down the NJT line and others on their own whippany line.They never have a set day on which they go somewhere. But by far a ME fans best location to get photos is from the Morristown Staples parking lot. Its orignal but never gets old for me. If they go on the NJT line I like to take pics from Mt. Tabor Station. Feel free to PM me with any other questions

#506486  by GOLDEN-ARM

As mentioned, The shops are the best starting place. You can see the power started up, in the morning, and by watching the train depart, you'll know where they are headed, and you should be able to follow them, or get ahead of them, and set up for a picture session.

#506662  by mainetrain

If you catch them working the Rockaway branch, you will have ample time to chase and set up some nice shots. The line meanders nicely as it makes its way towards 84 Lumber near Denville

#514889  by NJTRailfan

Check out the Whippany Railway Museum this weekend and the next. The Easter Rides are comming up so you will see the alcos hard at work pulling passenger cars. Chances are the Maine Eastern FL-9 will be there too. It was there the last time they held their Santa Clause Rides. The equpment pulled were the three ex NJT Comet 1s in the Whippany Railway Museum/EL paint, The Morris county Parlor Car and another parlor car but stainless steel.

#514928  by Steve F45

how far down the whippany line do they go? or for that matter where does the line end? Im going to the greenburg train show in edison so i may swing up 287 to see whats happening at whippany.

#515167  by NJTRailfan

The line ends just before Essex Fells. I wish the line would be re extended back to Verona atleast if not all the way to where the Boonton Line is.