Railroad Forums 

• FL9 With the Top Down Today (01/08/2008)

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#491730  by MEC407

Is this the unit that is getting some kind of emissions upgrade to appease the Rockland NIMBYs?

#491923  by RS115

Yes it is MEC.

#500770  by james1787

What's the little steam locomotive behind the FL-9? New addition?

#500864  by Al Holleuffer

That's not a steam locomotive. It is a Plymouth Locomotive Works 18-Ton gas-mechanical lcomotive owned by a military historical society and kept on the M&E. They use it as a shop switcher occasionally and it has been on display in Whippany at some museum functions. It is virtually identical to the one the Morris County Central RR had, No. 18 which was the plant switcher at Drew Chemical in Boonton, NJ. That "critter" is now owned by the NYS&WT&HS and is their shop switcher in Butler, NJ. They have a four-speed mechanical transmission just like a large truck and were built with Budda gasoline engines. The axles are driven by large chains like bicycle chains from sprokets on the sides of the transmission. The MCCRR re-engined theirs with two different Cummins truck diesels engines over the years roughly doubling the horsepower and cutting fuel consumption significantly. MCCRR 18 as built had no air brake, only a mechanical handbrake much like the old fashion Johnson Bars on early steam locomotives. Drew Chemical had air brakes installed during a rebuild when the tankcars they handled became too large and heavy to safely switch without air.

#503304  by uhaul

Nice to see the FL9 and such a unique photograph showing the engine cover (whatever you call it) off. Looks like the whole engine is missing.

#503370  by DutchRailnut

The roof section over engine contains radiators, radiator fans (4) and radiator fan contactor box. on top of hatch is winterization hatch that returns hot air from radiator back to engine room in winter to keep engineroom presurized and feeds warm air into engineroom for traction motor blowers, this prevents snow intake into traction motors, and keeps them dry.

#504058  by mainecentral

I knew I hadn't seen it around lately, is it getting a new prime mover, or having it overhauled? I'll look forward to it's return.

#504121  by Sandy Burton

488's prime mover is getting a major overhaul.

Sandy

#504497  by mainecentral

Thanks Sandy, I'll be looking for 488 in the spring....possibly?
 #504850  by Sandy Burton

It should be back before the start of the tourist season.

Sandy :-D