Railroad Forums 

• RS-1 #15 questions

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#473947  by lackawanna1223

Hi,

Two questions:

1) When did the M&E actually buy #15 from the Navy? 1962? 1956?

2) The paint scheme on the Atlas O model is suitable for the '60s, correct? What would need to be done to the paint to make it accurate for when it was first purchased from the Navy?

Thanks!

Brian

#474042  by RS115

According to Tom Tabor's book 'Morristown & Erie Railroad: People Paper and Profits" purchase appears to have been in 1963 though he does not give an exact date.

The paint scheme is correct for later 1960's into the early 80's (post bankruptcy/Ben Friedland's assumption of the presidency they went to solid red dropping the blue stripes). As originally painted on both 14 & 15 the lower stripe continued across the cab. The white oval with the ME was added mid/late 1960's someone else may have an exact date. On an early photo of 15 the bottom is blank. As originally delivered on 14 the road number was on the upper stripe and the name "Mauritius Jensen" on the lower.

The model is pretty good for as received from the Navy - biggest difference being the stack. 15 did not have a standard Alco stack - it was a taller straight oblong stack. There are a myriad of little things - bell holder shape for one. Al H. had an exhaustive list posted at one point - you may be able to find it in the back pages of this thread.

I have to run right now but will revisit again when I have more time. If you can get a copy of Tabor's book (it pop's up semi-regularly on Ebay) there are a couple of early period pics.

Hope that helps.