Railroad Forums 

• Comet 1 Cars

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#442880  by NJTRailfan

I recently saw a picture of a fmr EL/NJT Comet 1 car painted in th maroon/yellow striping of the EL/Whippany Railway Museum coach. I heard they have three of them named after morristown, Hanover and Roseland. When will they get more of these? I understand they were named after the towns that the M&E serves. I would love for the M&E/museum to get ahold of more so that they can have more cars named after

1. Rockaway
2. Dover (both after the Dover/Rockaway Line)
3. Randolph
4. Roxbury (They do service these lines after all)
5. Denville?
6. Whippany (where the museum is located)
Did NJT donate straight coaches or was a cab car part of the 3 as well? I wonder if NJT will donate some of the Arrows when they are down to the last few of them?

#442947  by RS115

The three cars held by the museum are straight coaches not cab cars. I doubt they will get any more - 3 plus the extra fare cars they get from the M&E largley satisfy their seating needs on the weekends they operate trains (such as easter and christmas). More cars mean more to maintain.

Particularly with the M&E owning several they can get their hands on more should the need for extra seats arise.

#444367  by FireChaserE3

I thought I saw a few more old NJT coaches sitting at the museum on Rt 10 just a week or two ago. Are these additional units or am I just seeing things?

#444399  by NJTRailfan

No you are not seeing things. When I saw the museum I saw the cars today but there were two of them connected to some vintage cars. Regular coaches but no cabs. Both had the NJT logos scrapped off and one was missing a number. I'm wondering if these two will be painted in the same paint job (I can only hope) and be named Randolph, Roxbury, Whippany, Rockaway or even Dover? Just a suggestion :wink:

Would be really nice to see ridership increase so that they can get more of these cars. I'm sure there are some more Comet 1 cars lying around somewhere that are not needed that an outfit like the Whippany Rail Museum can use. I know NJT has no more but I heard NYSW and probably one other railroad were one of those that got a bunch that are sitting in a yard somewhere.

#444503  by Tri-State Tom

Chaser / NJT -

RS115 said....
The three cars held by the museum are straight coaches not cab cars. I doubt they will get any more - 3 plus the extra fare cars they get from the M&E largley satisfy their seating needs on the weekends they operate trains (such as easter and christmas). More cars mean more to maintain.

Particularly with the M&E owning several they can get their hands on more should the need for extra
In sum, the museum owns 3 Comet I's ( repainted with maroon window bands, yellow E-L diamonds where NJTransit flavor stripes were and with museum crests on opposite car ends ) and the M&E owns 2-3 which have been stripped of all NJTransit decals and markings.

That's what you probably saw.