Railroad Forums 

• Contract with Morris County

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#427723  by cjvrr

block,

Don't lump me in that pile. Towns like Butler, Dover, Boonton, Morristown, Washington Township, Jefferson, and Rockaway are full of hard working blue collar people. I wouldn't call myself a pencil pusher but maybe a "mouse mover" ;-)

Municipal zoning, wetlands, Highlands restrictions, cost of living and many other factors have moved industrial jobs and employees out of Morris County and New Jersey for that matter.

Getting back on topic, I think the new contract will be equitable for both the M&E and Morris County. Several businesses are planning to increase shipments by rail as well as a few new customers coming on line. The County and M&E are working toward obtaining funds for improvements to the Chester and High Bridge branch as well as the Rockaway Branch improvements that took place. Another project is coming up to signalize a crossing in Rockaway Borough as well as some grade crossing replacements. Lake Junction Yard is also slated for improvement.

So with a good physical plant the lines should be in good shape for current and future oeprations.

#427831  by blockline4180

Chris,

I'm sorry, I didnt mean to label you as being white collar...I know there are still some blue collar workforce living in Morris County... It just doesn't seem as "blue" as it was in the 1970's and 80's...

Anyway, getting back on semi topic, can you disclose what new customers might be coming on board for M&E?? I know Kuikens brothers on the Chester Br. was supposed to start receiving cars, but there has been some delay... Do you have any idea when that potential customer may start getting cars??

Mods note: edited for spelling :wink:
 #454484  by blockline4180

On the way to work today I noticed the crossbucks for the Chester Branch crossing Route 10 had a red cone and an X spray painted on them.. Perhaps new flashers will be installed or track work will be comencing soon into the Kuikens facility??

#472796  by blockline4180

deleted
Last edited by blockline4180 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#472797  by blockline4180

Found this in the NJ forum

Check page 7 and 8
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/f ... ilplan.pdf

I also like this wording

"Cedar Knolls Siding, Scale and Track Rehabilitation - This project involves the rehabilitation of
2,500 feet of existing track as well as the installation of 1,800 feet of new rail siding and a combination
railcar/truck scale. This project will provide transloading and storage for two new customers"

I never heard anything on a new customer for the Whippany line.. Where would this exactly be?

#473229  by MORRISANDERIEFAN18

Block,

That is interesteng. I wonder when ME will start surving these new customers. next year?