• River Rd bridge gone

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Sir Ray

Actually there is another way to build a 'Tell-Tale', although I haven't seen one like this per se:
Simply have a light beam (laser or infrared) set at the desired height a fair distance from the bridge and if an overtall vehicle breaks the beam, activate the warning devices.
This system is in use at a car wash I go to, to adjust the height of a overhead dryer system (you can see it move up and down as it follow the contours of your vehicle) - admittedly it's spanning only 8-9 foot as opposed to a 40foot roadbed (+ shoulders?), so a laser to maintain coherency would be good - of course, infrared is good to prevent false positives in the event of smoke, fog, etc..
Actually, I suppose there are infrared lasers (since infrared is just another frequency band of light), so that buys you the best of both worlds.

by cjvrr

Sir Ray,

Thought about doing that already but it is much more costly and definitely requires an electrical hookup. Infrared detection devices are used on some traffic signals but it is difficult to narrow the beam enough to only detect overheight vehicles. Video detection may also work. Any of these alternatives would require installing what amounts to a signal pole for mounting the detector in advance of each flasher. It would easily add $15,000 to $20,000 to the price of the project. Flashers alone will cost about $12,000-$18,000 depending upon the way we power it.

The ability to maintain the system comes into play too. Most municipalities have the ability to go out and change a bulb on the flashers, but do not have the capability to check or correctly aim the detector. After nearly eight years of designing and managing traffic signal installation the best systems are the simple systems.

Chris

by Ken W2KB

Chris,

"best is simple" -- probably why the Port Authority installed the steel girders overhead outside the Holland Tunnel entrances. :wink:

by Lackawanna484

Ken W2KB wrote:Chris,

"best is simple" -- probably why the Port Authority installed the steel girders overhead outside the Holland Tunnel entrances. :wink:
-----------------

It's tough to sue the Port Authority. They've got all kinds of special exceptions in NJ and NY law. If essex or morris county did that, lawyers would be lined up from here to the Del river...

by 7 Train

In my opinion, the simplest (and cheapest) choice would be to have a set of cowbells 11' high a suffcient distance before the bridge. Trucks over 11' 0'' would stuck the bells and warn the driver. This is in place on the Queensboro Bridge in New York City which currently restricts trucks over 12' 0'' on its upper level.

by Ken W2KB

The Port Authority used to have an audible warning system only if I recall correctly. Problem was some drivers ignored it and got stuck in the tunnel entrance. Hence the installation of the overhead steel beam. Can't ignore that! :wink:

by AmtrakFan

Scrap The U34CH wrote:Maybe a truck finally took it down LOL!!!!!!!

:wink: :wink:
Yes Looks like Killed it :wink: :wink: LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AmtrakFan

by njt4172

Any updates on the progess of the railroad east of this bridge??? I was under the impression that M&E was doing the whole line over from The Passaic River Bridge to the B&G facility......Anyone know when it will be completed??

Thanks,
Steve

by Lackawanna484

Went by the site on Thursday.

The west support has been completed, the east support is just about completed. It looks like the height might be raised a few feet, based on the completed west pillar. Not a lot, maybe 2 feet.

No work on the right of way, and it looks like they hauled away much of the cut back right of way soil, so I don't know if/how they're gonna raise the track.

It's going to be a very wide crossing, maybe 40 feet wide.

by Lackawanna484

Both east and west supports have been completed. Based on the indents, it looks like the new bridge clearance will be about fifteen feet above the roadway. They've begun to move fill in and around the embankment, prob to raise the track level.

It's possible they may raise the street a foot or two and bring the height of the overpass back to where it was. I noticed markings on the roadway which would be consistent with a raise.

by Lackawanna484

River Road bridge may be installed today. The cranes are onsite, and the road has been barricaded.

by Angus202

Crews have been working since yesterday (friday) to unload and assemble the span from a pair of oversized trucks onto the new abutments - as of saturday afternoon, work appeared to be comming along rather well -see link at the bottom of this post for a picture- (taking advantage of the good weather I s'pose) and perhaps we'll see the FL-9 and its inventory of cars come home from Givaudan foods in east hanover. Unfortunately work has not progessed as nicely on the passaic span - although the new supports have been poured and completed, the track from the bridge is still not even completely removed, let alone the new structure started.

http://www.northshorerecording.com/rail ... bridge.jpg

-Ryan

by njt4172

Angus202 wrote:Crews have been working since yesterday (friday) to unload and assemble the span from a pair of oversized trucks onto the new abutments - as of saturday afternoon, work appeared to be comming along rather well -see link at the bottom of this post for a picture- (taking advantage of the good weather I s'pose) and perhaps we'll see the FL-9 and its inventory of cars come home from Givaudan foods in east hanover. Unfortunately work has not progessed as nicely on the passaic span - although the new supports have been poured and completed, the track from the bridge is still not even completely removed, let alone the new structure started.

http://www.northshorerecording.com/rail ... bridge.jpg

-Ryan

Ryan,

Isn't Givaudan Foods located off the mainline adjacent to the Vornado Spur?? If I am mistaken, where is the facility exactly located??

Thanks,
Steve

by Angus202

Hey Steve, I've got no idea as to what road its located on, but their lead is just below (east of) "lower" royal lube. Walking from merry lane going east, you pass Upper Royal's switch (where there are frequently tank cars), lower royal (where box's went to many moons ago), and just past there is a lead going down a grade making a sharp turn southward, thru 2 gated and barb wired fences into their facility. The link below is of 488 reistricted to switching the few cars on premise.

http://www.northshorerecording.com/railroad/ME488.jpg

-Ryan

by Lackawanna484

the new bridge is now in place, and it's a beauty. About two feet higher clearance than the old bridge, and about 20 feet wider.

They've begun raising the right of way the two feet to meet the new level. I understand there will be some paving height adjustments on the roadway, so there's more work to do.

The bridge would look very nice with an M&E logo on it...