Railroad Forums 

• Concrete Ties @ Lake Jct.

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#408413  by Angus202

I know NS is planning on doing some track work up around the Hackettstown area and there have been a fair number of concretes ties dropped at port morris the last few weeks. 14 Fairmont Tamper ties cars are now sitting on the M&E interchange track @ Lake Jct. Anyone have a clue if these are going to the M&E or simply stored there for NS? Also noticed there was a stack of concrete ties @ the M&E shop lately.
-Ryan

#408465  by cjvrr

I would guess they would be going to the new Mt. Arlington Station project on NJT. Port Morris and Lake Junction could both work as staging areas.

#409092  by washingtonsecondary

Isn't the track in and around Hackettstown owned by NJT? Why would NS work on track that wasn't theirs?
 #409398  by blockline4180

Angus202 wrote:I know NS is planning on doing some track work up around the Hackettstown area and there have been a fair number of concretes ties dropped at port morris the last few weeks. 14 Fairmont Tamper ties cars are now sitting on the M&E interchange track @ Lake Jct. Anyone have a clue if these are going to the M&E or simply stored there for NS? Also noticed there was a stack of concrete ties @ the M&E shop lately.
-Ryan

NJT is installing concerte ties to track 1 between Chatham and Morris Plains on the Morris & Essex Lines... Concrete has already been installed from Denville to Powder Mill curve.

The 14 tie cars you saw at Lake Junction will eventually go east or back to Port Morris where they have been sitting for some time now!

#409522  by Angus202

At first it seemed like that's what was happening, but the ties @ lake jct. are on fairmont tamper (FTSX) cars, whereas transit has outsourced the Morris & Essex upgrade to Harsco Track Tech, who have a fleet of their own (HTTX) tie cars. Last week there was a stack of concrete ties in morristown that disappeared when a M&E high-rail flatbed with a crane showed up on site... can't figure out where they dragged 'em to though!
-Ryan

#409785  by cjvrr

Angus,

Harsco Track Technologies owns the Fairmont and Tamper line of products. So I would assume they also own the different reporting marks.

Chris

#410153  by denvillerailfan

cjvrr wrote:Angus,

Harsco Track Technologies owns the Fairmont and Tamper line of products. So I would assume they also own the different reporting marks.

Chris
Agreed... check this out. I believe this ties the two together pretty well.

The flats (that I saw) on this train all had the FTSX marks.

#410237  by Angus202

...well darn, really was hoping the chester industrial from lake to ferromonte jct was getting some tlc, track is terrible <5 MPH on that stretch.

#410261  by blockline4180

Angus202 wrote:...well darn, really was hoping the chester industrial from lake to ferromonte jct was getting some tlc, track is terrible <5 MPH on that stretch.
No, but at least these concrete tie shipments to NJT are giving the NS H0-2 more business!! It is nice to see longer freights! :-D

#410698  by Shark

There was some tie work done on the branch recently and last night a track machine was sitting on the slope track. Two days ago I saw two M&E trucks loaded with ties driving west on Route 10 towards Chester Junction.

#420428  by NJTRailfan

It's nice to see the railroads switching to better material like concrete ties. It's too bad the D&R Branch through Dover won't be around too much longer otherwise the concrete ties would be laid through there as well. But atleast one day I'll see them laid along the old CNJ Highbridge Line and on some of the other M&E operated lines as well maybe within the next 10 years.

#420692  by washingtonsecondary

Railfan speculation and or wishful thinking.