Railroad Forums 

• Former Channel Branch/Siding

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#384095  by David Hutchinson

Thanks.... I am going to guess that there is nothing visible at the former Erie connection in Essex Fells, correct?

#384309  by SemperFidelis

If one walks behind the Baskin Robbins / Dunkin Donuts the ROW is easily walkable. A few old rails and ties are still strewn about, but nothing of any great interest.

If it weren't for one building occupying the ROW near Caldwell College, one could walk from Roseland Avenue in West Caldwell all the way to Great Notch on the ROW. The old bridge over the ROW on Bloomfield Avnue was filled in maybe fifteen years ago, so you'd have to walk across I suppose.

The latter half of the ROW (from just east of Bloomfield Avenue) is used commonly as a walking and biking trail. About a mile and a half is maintained as such by the towns. If you follow to the end, you come out on NJ Transit property (if you pay taxes, your property) just west of the horribly maintained Great Notch Station.

#384558  by joe k

The Corprate Comm. Building on Parsippany Rd...... was International Paper , they used the brown paper (board paper) from the Eden and two sister mills in town to make cardboard / cardboard boxes.....
(thats why they called it, " Whippany Paper Board" )

International Paper had two sidings into the rear of the building........
Looking at the building from the street, the far left section was an inclosed loading dock and you can still see today about 30' of rail extending out into the front parking area from the now closed off exterior wall. A long string of box cars would be shoved into the loading dock and sometimes you could see 1/2 a box car sticking out of the building near the road.
The M&E would serve I.P. and WPB 6 days a week during it's hay day years.