Railroad Forums 

• Former Channel Branch/Siding

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#369888  by David Hutchinson

I noticed that the former Channel siding is still in with Amtrak Express Cars and at least one bulkhead flat car. Can anyone give me info? Also, I was told that this siding used to go across Route 10. Is this true and what industry was serviced on the other side of Route 10, across from Cadbury-Schwepps?

#369941  by RS115

Yes the track is still in to just shy of Rt 10 and they use the lower portion closer to the main for car storage - probably much to the delight of the residents of the MetroWest complex next door. The tracks physically crossed Rt 10 until a couple of years ago when the town started working on the new recreational complex thought nothing had actually crossed there in many years. It went over to the old Malapardis/Stony Brook paper mill which became inactive in the late 1970's or early 80's and I don't think had made much use of rail for quite some time prior to that. (I know when we did paper drives for my high school in the 1975-78 period we took paper here once or twice before they stopped accepting it.)

This was a fairly busy branch when Channel (located on the branch in the mid 1960's I believe) was a big name in the home business. The branch was originally built (on a different alignment) to serve The Malapardis Mill and a brick making plant. It originally took off near the present Rt 287 overpass and passed by what is now Bee Meadow Park. In certain seasons you can still see the ROW though it gets harder each year. That land was still owned by the railroad into the 90 and, in fact, may be still.

Al - I know you can add in alot to this.

#369946  by blockline4180

Yes, this branch was always an interesting topic to discuss! When I lived in Cedar Knolls from 1981 to 93 I remember seeing the Alcos switch the Channel facility quite often back in the late 80s. When was the last time Channel got a car? The alcos would have to cross route 10 to shove some box cars in the facility. Too bad nothing much is left.

#369970  by David Hutchinson

Before Channel, by Jefferson Avenue (?), is the track that the M&E has stuff stored on it. What was this originally? Across from it, is an industrial building that looked like it had a siding, also. What company was this? I remember back in the late 70's photographing a bunch of ex-LIRR C-420's on a siding somewhere. Is there another industrial siding that I am missing? Also, does the M&E still switch at Roseland and is there a runaround near there to facilitate the moves. Much thanks out there....

#369972  by RS115

The run-around track by S. Jefferson Road is currently being used to store a flat-car with MOW equipment on it, some passenger cars and the recent addition is locomotive #22 partially covered in the blue plastic normally used to cover boats for winter storage. There is another short track here that comes off the run-around. In the 70's it was Makars (Not positive on the spelling) a lumber outfit of sorts. Currently it has the remains of a LIRR coach on it that is about 95% scrapped.

The Channel/Malapardis branch leaves the main maybe a 1/2 a mile east of Jefferson Road. The other siding you are probably thinking of is the old Quaker State siding. Quaker State is still there but the switch has been gone for some time. There are still rails near the building - not sure how far it is intact towards the main.

#370000  by David Hutchinson

I just started working at a company in East Hanover, so I have been going around the area at lunch time. How often does the M&E go out to Roseland?

#370053  by RS115

It's sometimes hard for me to tell - I work on S. Jefferson road and see them go past but sometimes they're not going all the way to Roseland. From what I can see and from what has been posted previously on this board, I'd say they go to Roseland to switch B&G foods (fka Polaner) once, sometimes twice, a week. Fridays is often a good bet.

#370073  by mikedc3

David Hutchinson wrote:Before Channel, by Jefferson Avenue (?), is the track that the M&E has stuff stored on it. What was this originally? Across from it, is an industrial building that looked like it had a siding, also. What company was this?
I hear people call this building "The old cork factory" If that means they make Cork there I don't know. It did have a siding at one time.

There is a siding off of the Malapardis branch behind and next to Quaker State, The rails are still in the pavement back there. It served a large building but I don't know what it was back in the day. Anyone know?

Here's another strange one. Further down in Whippany, say your standing on the grade crossing for Parsippany Rd, and your looking toward the old Eden Mill. To your back right is the Whippany post office. To your right side is Stony Brook, and then a building with a diner and dry cleaning shop. Behind this building is a small 2 story garage type building. There is an old bridge in place next to it. The tracks would have come off the MnE main in the area of the parking lot at Eden Mill, crossed this bridge over Stony Brook and went to this small building. Anyone know what this was and when it was last served by the RR? I know it's hard to understand where I'm talking about so, I'm attaching a link. The building I'm asking about is the "L" shaped one near the center of this :

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&z=1 ... 4&t=k&om=1

#370226  by joe k

That Old Bridge next to the two story garage building is a former Roofing Supply..........the rails end in the parking area behind Franks Diner
(open for breakfast & lunch only....reservations recomended).
There was a switch and crossing on the Eden Mill driveway years ago into this siding. The loading dock and bridge over the Stoney Brook were the same, thats how close the SB River is behind the building.
M&E would use this for overflow storage of boxcars in the late 60' when they were very busy in the old days.....and the Morris County Central RR would store their coaches there in the early 60's prior to building storage tracks at the Whippany Station area......not sure when the switch & track were removed across the Mill Driveway?
There was another switch and small siding just west of the roofing siding switch used for Chlorine at the mills waste water facility.... it was next to the river and just before the scale house.

"Dependable Cork Factory" had cork delivered and used the material to make items for customers. The cork product would burn very well and they had several major fire there over the years!

The former Malapardis Branch did turn out behind the cork factory along the now Rt 287 property....it crossed South Jefferson Rd almost across from the new Cadbury driveway. It was moved to it's present location not for the old Channel but the Stony Brook Paper Mill (now the new ballfield)
There was a crossing at Rt 10 into the mill property....the Jersey Barrier was sealed up a few years ago.....all rail has been removed on the west side of the Rt 10 crossing here.

#370524  by RS115

According to Tabor's book "Morristown & Erie Railroad - People Paper & Profits" the realingment of the Malapardis branch to (roughly any way) it's current alignment occurred in 1927 (new track built) and 1928 (old branch ripped up). When I was around the M&E in the 70's the area by 287 where the original branch took off and the long passing siding (now single ended) were located was still referred to at 'the junction'.

#370908  by mikedc3

Thanks for the great info Joe. I've been wondering about that bridge for years.

Mike
joe k wrote:That Old Bridge next to the two story garage building is a former Roofing Supply..........the rails end in the parking area behind Franks Diner

#374502  by roachcoach1186

RS115 wrote:
The other siding you are probably thinking of is the old Quaker State siding. Quaker State is still there but the switch has been gone for some time. There are still rails near the building - not sure how far it is intact towards the main.
the rails that lead into the small parking lot are still visible, but the swtich is long gone from the main line

#383938  by David Hutchinson

Thank you everybody for the info.... I went to see that small bridge in back of the diner with the rails still in place. Is that a former bridge on the opposite side, closer to Route 10, that maybe serviced the Corporate Communications Warehouse (ex- paper mill warehouse)? I took a quick look going home and noticed what appeared to be steel beams crossing the creek/river.

#383939  by David Hutchinson

Thank you everybody for the info.... I went to see that small bridge in back of the diner with the rails still in place. Is that a former bridge on the opposite side, closer to Route 10, that maybe serviced the Corporate Communications Warehouse (ex- paper mill warehouse)? I took a quick look going home and noticed what appeared to be steel beams crossing the creek/river.

#383941  by RS115

You are correct - there was a siding/short branch that took off there and crossed the river to serve two paper mills. The Corporate Communications building is actually a former mill building. Past that the tracks crossed over the river again (that bridge is still there as well visible from Whippany Road) and crossed Whippany Road into another mill complex that is now offices (the property - mill buildings long gone).