Railroad Forums 

• M&E to start interchanging freight with CSX?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#399834  by blockline4180

My sources at M&E, NJT, and CSX have told me that M&E has only picked up about a half dozen cars since the beginning of the month, mostly all tank cars! However the interchange in Kearny has been occuring!

#401332  by SecaucusJunction

I dont think that exchanging 6 cars since the beginning of the month is worth the price of fuel they burn to get them there...

#402933  by gravelyfan

M&E 18 and some tank cars on the Center Street Branch at 10:45 Friday morning (5/25)

#403095  by Tri-State Tom

....and #18 spotted arriving @BAKER from the East around 3 p.m. with a lone tank car in tow.

#403104  by pablo

It depends on what's in the cars. They might well be worth it...and it could be worth it to prove they can do it, increase good will, establish a schedule for later shipments...etc...

Lots of variables here, and not all of them money.

Dave Becker

#403245  by blockline4180

pablo wrote:It depends on what's in the cars. They might well be worth it...and it could be worth it to prove they can do it, increase good will, establish a schedule for later shipments...etc...

Lots of variables here, and not all of them money.

Dave Becker

Well, I'm assuming that most of the stuff coming from CSX at Kearny would be destined for the Whippany line. Since most of the customers on that line receive tank cars I would think they would be carrying either corn syrup for B&G foods in Roseland or oil for Royal? in East hanover.

#403285  by pablo

I can't imagine that cars of Corn Syrup would be that lucrative a practice...so then I'd defer to my other reasons for doing it.

Dave Becker

#407515  by Angus202

18 took a car of corn syrup and FL-9 #484 east today around noon. Don't know if the F is going to the interchange or perhaps being dropped @ the MMC for some outsourced work. Anyone who's riding the M&E this afternoon please take a look @ the center ct. branch and tell us what's over there!
-Ryan

#407550  by blockline4180

1 Tank car?? WOW!!!
M&E is really kicking some major butt in terms of this new CSX interchange they currently utilize!

#407557  by SecaucusJunction

Yeah 1 car is really gonna keep the business going!

I'm sure this business will grow... probably about as much as CP's business into Fresh Pond!

#407639  by RS115

Could be there's potential growth in the CSX routing or it may be a matter of hanging on to what little traffic is left on the line.

If the NS routing rate had become unattractive to the shipper it may have been a case of find an alternative or loose the business. Given the B&G Foods/Polaner is probably their number 1 customer (on a very short list these days) they'd probably jump through a couple of hoops to hang onto it.

#407771  by Jtgshu

The tank car and the 484 (stencled FEC by the way) are parked on the Center St. Branch west of Kearny Jct.

#407782  by Wanderer

Jtgshu wrote:The tank car and the 484 (stencled FEC by the way) are parked on the Center St. Branch west of Kearny Jct.
I posted it in 'Diesel Doings' but the unit is waybilled for FEC home shop at Bowden, FL (Jacksonville).

#407876  by blockline4180

Could be there's potential growth in the CSX routing or it may be a matter of hanging on to what little traffic is left on the line.

Well, I had thought that the "new" CSX interchange could have something to do with getting cars for the new Kuikens Lumber site along the Chester Branch, but from my observations that isn't the case, not yet at least!

M&E rehabbed the siding and switch into the facility last year, but they haven't received any shipment by rail! :(

#473515  by gravelyfan

M&E 20 westbound through Harrison with 3 tank cars, 1240 hrs Fr 11/30/07