Railroad Forums 

• Trackwork - Eisenhower Pkwy.

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#52624  by Tri-State Tom

Steve -

Yesterday viewed 2 stacks of brand new ties as well as a pile of used stick rail EAST of Eisenhower Pkwy. Plus, the President of Rogers & Sheldon was with me and confirmed that he has been told by the M&E that trackwork will also be done thru his lumber yard and presumedly out to 280.

#52692  by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:Steve -

Yesterday viewed 2 stacks of brand new ties as well as a pile of used stick rail EAST of Eisenhower Pkwy. Plus, the President of Rogers & Sheldon was with me and confirmed that he has been told by the M&E that trackwork will also be done thru his lumber yard and presumedly out to 280.
That is great news! I'm assuming Rogers & Sheldon's lumber barn will receive sporadic shipments again? Someone said every 5th tie was replaced about 10 car lengths east of Route 280....

Steve

#53010  by Scrap The U34CH

How did this "new" bridge get there? Truck? Train? Was it taken apart first or was is shipped whole?
Angus202 wrote:Took a daylight trip today... ballast was spread and the new span installed... check out the link bellow for a picture of the work. It would appear at current that only this main span will be replaced (and was designed to integrate with the old trestle (as illogical as it sounds), hope I'm wrong. Anyways 488 was loaded up with the supports etc and shoved the supplies east to the site were progress is looking great!

http://www.northshorerecording.com/rail ... assaic.jpg

-Ryan

#53208  by Tri-State Tom

I suspect we're confusing our bridges here....

denville -

I think your photo is of the new span over the river, yes ?

augus -

You have shots there of both new bridges, correct ?

Just so I didn't confuse anyone, the only bridge I've seen is the new one over River Road.

#53425  by Angus202

Hey tom, any pics I've posted in this thread are of the passaic bridge... from a lower vantage point, I can see how they look somewhat similar, but both pics are of the new span over the passaic.

-Ryan

#53456  by denvillerailfan

Tom,
Yes my shot is of the one over the river...

Here's another from the side...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/996 ... 2988vslXwQ

As far as the other bridge is concerned, I thought angus202 had good shots so I didn't bother.

I'm trying to stop down after work more often - I'll try to keep ya'll up to date on what I see.

The RS is still behind B&G, nothing new there, just swapping cars.
The ties have been selectively replaced and yes, a lot of re-spiking has happened this year towards 280. As bad as it was last year, They could NOT have brought the stash where they did and move around to B&G if they didn't do all this. My guess is that they will update the rest of the line after the bridge work is complete.... just a guess.
 #53704  by 130MM

I believe that the 145 rail being discussed is actually 115 RE rolled by Algoma Steel of Canada. Their section designation for 115 RE was "145". And before you ask I have no idea why, other than the fact that some mills designated sections using numbers different from the rail weight. I have a picture of the brand of this type of rail, but it is in my office computer, and I won't be there for a week. I can post it then if anyone is interested.

DAW
Angus202 wrote:Tom, the rail clearly had 145 stamped on it, it was also of a different profile than the 155 pennsy stuff around ridgedale ave, I recall the steel mfg. as being the same as the rail conrail put up the riverline - made in the 80's long after even PC was dead. The powerplant's rails have been rusty for some time, but I think it was last year that the tracks into it were reballasted for whatever reason, it's also home to a flat car with assorted MOW equipment on it. If the plant would allow it, it'd be a great place to store more equipment, two stub sidings (one of which is rather lengthy) all in locked and barb-wire fence. The pic below is from standing at the gate... The rails right up the main are still in place, and I'm doubtfull they'd leave that equipment marooned there.

http://www.northshorerecording.com/rail ... C03488.jpg

-Ryan

#53746  by Angus202

yep thats the stuff "algoma-canada" this stuff is way taller than any other 115lb rail I've ever seen. good stuff to know about the stampings on rail though.

-ryan

#54710  by Lackawanna484

115# rail seems light if the purpose of the upgrade is to meet the future 315,000 pound car load limits.

Not questioning the rail weight, just the context.

Railway Construction was working on the River Road bridge today. There's new track and ballast graded up to the new height. Track height is maybe 2 feet higher than the old track level.

#54731  by Tri-State Tom

Well, count me in the group who's confused on the rail topic....

AIR, the 'word' on the rail from months ago was it had to be 'heavy' rail....which I interpreted to mean 131lb. + ( wrongly I guess )....to comply with the new car load limits.

Also recall it being posted that the M&E had purchased a bunch of monster ex-Pennsy 155lb. stick rail from the midwest somewhere for installation on the Whippany line presumedly to comply with the new limits.

Is this 115lb. 'Algoma-Canada' stick rail some sorta hybrid type with, as Angus has observed, a much higher/taller profile than 'normal' 115lb. rail ?

#54736  by Angus202

Hey tom, I was looking at some pics I snapped of this stuff and I just cant see how it can have the monster profile it does and only be 115lb rail. Also it's not stick rail (technically), when the crossing was redone some years ago, it was put in and the "sticks" were flash-welded together for a few hundred feet of ribbon / CWR rail.

-Ryan

#54864  by Greg

Tom,

This rail definetly looks larger than 115lbs. I walked the ROW between Ridgedale and the Whippany River when this project started and I spotted some lighter rail on the old siding that once went into the power plant. That rail was, IIRC, 105lbs, the new rail appeared much larger than that.

#54921  by Angus202

hey greg, yea the rail in the section is the 155lb stuff. The section we're talking about is in place in the eisenhower parkway crossing extending a few hundred feet west of there -which is pretty huge stuff, but not as big as the 155

-Ryan
 #55475  by 130MM

115 RE rail is 6-5/8" tall (when new). This is the tallest 115 section ever rolled. 115 RE has a base width of 5-1/2"

155 PS is 8" tall (again, when new). Its base width is 6-3/4".

105 DLW is 6" tall, with a base of 5-3/8" as a comparison.

Hopefully, these dimensions will help solve the mystery.

DAW