Railroad Forums 

• Murray Road/ Vornado

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#340563  by David Hutchinson

When was the last time cars were delivered to any of the warehouses on Murray Road, East Hanover? Also, where do current operations end near Roseland? Finally, how much "abandoned" track is left in place past the current end of operations and the former Erie connection at Essex Fells?

#340721  by RS115

Don't know the exact date though someone who often posts on here might. I believe the last activity was in the early 1990's but it may have been the 80's - it's been a long time.

Activity at Roseland is 1-2 times/week into B&G foods - the former Polaner plant - tank cars mostly.

The track beyond B&G is cleared for a couple of hundred feet - under Rt 280 mostly due to need to store up cars a couple of summers ago when they did some bridge replacements and the section was isolated (they left RS-1 #21 at the plant so they could switch it). Track is in in some spots to Essex Fells but much of it was removed for scrap. If you walk in west a bit from Harrison Ave you can still find intact track. I didn't venture far as there was also a lively crop of poison ivy.

A
 #340744  by blockline4180

David Hutchinson wrote:When was the last time cars were delivered to any of the warehouses on Murray Road, East Hanover? Also, where do current operations end near Roseland? Finally, how much "abandoned" track is left in place past the current end of operations and the former Erie connection at Essex Fells?
I believe the last customer to get cars on the old Vornado was Purina...This was in 1994 I believe... That was the last shipment on the Spur!